Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: I want to turn pro after college

I'm guessing that for 95% of the people making this decision, after a couple years of poker, a 40 hour job would seem a lot less miserable.

That by itself makes it a positive decision.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 AM

do you know the original penn crew? Do you know who ashok is? There is a strong contingent of Penn pros who after graduation went pro, who probably faced similar sentiments that you're currently facing.

There are also many successful players who plan to or already entered the work force, ask doug kim or strassa. It's entirely up to you, but if you're not really enjoying Wharton, why don't you take classes you would like? Your post made it sound you're just going to back into poker and poker is going to be the option. You tell yourself, you'll have that business degree, but if you're not really enjoying Wharton now, what makes you think you'd enjoy a wall street job? During my 4 years at penn, I regretted not just taking classes I would feel passionate about, instead of mindlessly pursuing something I initially set on based on extrinsic motivations. Don't waste that education, man. This doesn't mean you shouldn't go pro, you can still go pro, but also get the most out of your college experience.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:33 AM

Turn pro now. Don't even bother getting the degree. You only live once. Get the easy money while they are still there. Then do whatever you want with your profits and enjoy life.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn pro now. Don't even bother getting the degree. You only live once. Get the easy money while they are still there. Then do whatever you want with your profits and enjoy life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Idiot.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Obviously get your degree, and I agree with the sentiment of trying to bump your gpa up, if you ever decide to go to grad school, it's obviously important. Once you've finished your coursework, do whatever the f you want. How many people get that chance? Live in another country, take time off, play online, play brick and mortar, whatever. Screw starting your career, screw Ibankings (I did it after school), do what you want.

This is one of the few times you'll be able to look the world in the face and say 'go f yourself' and live it out your way. Who knows, you mave out of the country, live a wonderful adventure and make some coin while all your boys are going to happy hour on Friday night, only to go back to the office after three chicken wings and a beer. Be prudent with your money, plan for a future without poker and live life.

I'm stuck in a cube right now thinking about a hand I lost last night not working. Living in the cube jungle isn't exactly what it's cracked up to be. If times were different and I was in a position to make six figures doing something I enjoyed after school, id' do it without hesistation. If you're smart with your money, you'll hopefully have enough to do something you love without having to worry about a salary. Say you save enough for a decent house and yu want to become a teacher, having a house fully paid for while making a teachers salary is something a lot of people would kill for. If you want to open your own business, there you go. Just do it though.

People won't care you took off two or four years after school to travel and work for yourself. Hell, try and get a job at a consulting company, they'll love the fact you've got that'outside the box' mentality. I worked at and Ibank out of school, quit and bounced around for a few years and then went work for w big 5 (at the time) consultancy. It can be done.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM

I, for one, would be very hesitant to hire a 'failed' poker player. Even tho you're a winning player, most people who gamble (poker=gambling for most people out there) are not, and someone who has spent 3 years gambling probably has a problem. And you do NOT want to hire a degenerate gambler for a job that requires trust with other people's money.

Not everyone thinks like this of course, but I wouldn't even mention poker in my resume if I were you.

Also, you don't HAVE to get a 100 hr/week job in investment banking if you don't want. There are actually plenty of 40 hr/week jobs out there. And you'll still have plenty of time to play. Your whole life will be better if it's balanced.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously get your degree, and I agree with the sentiment of trying to bump your gpa up, if you ever decide to go to grad school, it's obviously important. Once you've finished your coursework, do whatever the f you want. How many people get that chance? Live in another country, take time off, play online, play brick and mortar, whatever. Screw starting your career, screw Ibankings (I did it after school), do what you want.

This is one of the few times you'll be able to look the world in the face and say 'go f yourself' and live it out your way. Who knows, you mave out of the country, live a wonderful adventure and make some coin while all your boys are going to happy hour on Friday night, only to go back to the office after three chicken wings and a beer. Be prudent with your money, plan for a future without poker and live life.

I'm stuck in a cube right now thinking about a hand I lost last night not working. Living in the cube jungle isn't exactly what it's cracked up to be. If times were different and I was in a position to make six figures doing something I enjoyed after school, id' do it without hesistation. If you're smart with your money, you'll hopefully have enough to do something you love without having to worry about a salary. Say you save enough for a decent house and yu want to become a teacher, having a house fully paid for while making a teachers salary is something a lot of people would kill for. If you want to open your own business, there you go. Just do it though.

People won't care you took off two or four years after school to travel and work for yourself. Hell, try and get a job at a consulting company, they'll love the fact you've got that'outside the box' mentality. I worked at and Ibank out of school, quit and bounced around for a few years and then went work for w big 5 (at the time) consultancy. It can be done.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

where did you get your avatar

it is just awesome
Old 10-25-2006, 02:44 AM

at least you're gonna finish which is more than you can say for a lot of people on here who quit school and put all their eggs in one basket

good 4 u
Old 10-25-2006, 03:21 AM

hi mak,

i stopped reading after this: "OK, so I'm a Junior at the Wharton Business School".

poker sucks. i've followed your posts and im sure you are a good winning player but you've also run insanely hot over large sample sizes. you may run break even for your next 100k hands. who knows. but i know once you hit a cold streak you'll hate it and realize poker sucks.

you have a great education - dont let it go to waste is my advice
Old 10-25-2006, 01:24 PM

The nice thing about trying pro right after college is that if it doesn't work out, you don't have to put "failed poker pro" on your resume. Just say you spent two years traveling, doing the typical post-college finding yourself thing before settling down. Just don't say that you were traveling to Vegas and AC, and don't say what you were doing when you got there.