Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 12:09 AM

Default Re: FW 20/40 hand vs. Nick M.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know Nicky, but against most regular passive live players I'm bet/folding this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been discussed on this forum several times before. He's the winningest player in the history of the 20/40 game at Foxwoods. He plays pretty TAG. He's certainly not a great poker player by any means, but plays this particular game very well and knows all of the regular players and their tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put, and I think he doesn't like a lot of us young guys.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:40 PM

By checking, you are basically resigning yourself to showing down the best hand, or paying off a better one. Bet here and hope he calls with a pocket pair or A-K that checks behind.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know Nicky, but against most regular passive live players I'm bet/folding this river.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's been discussed on this forum several times before. He's the winningest player in the history of the 20/40 game at Foxwoods. He plays pretty TAG. He's certainly not a great poker player by any means, but plays this particular game very well and knows all of the regular players and their tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh.. i'd say Billy Whitney has won more.. but nicky pulls his own weight.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

he's certainly going to remember this. likely, he'll value bet hands differently against you. i think his mindset now will be that you're willing to call a bet lightly.. so just be prepared on how this hand will affect you in future pots with him.

first hand i ever had against him was i raised in MP w/ KdQd he 3-bet next to me flop came 9 high all diamonds.. i led out, he raised, i 3-bet he 4-bet.. i called.. i c/r'd a non-diamond turn, he 3-bet.. i called.. and then i c/c the river and he showed 99.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By checking, you are basically resigning yourself to showing down the best hand, or paying off a better one. Bet here and hope he calls with a pocket pair or A-K that checks behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. This player is not checking behind, and he will stab at the river with A high. I like the OP's play this time.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he's certainly going to remember this. likely, he'll value bet hands differently against you. i think his mindset now will be that you're willing to call a bet lightly.. so just be prepared on how this hand will affect you in future pots with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why there is great meta value to check-call this hand on the river, the OP needs to use this to his advantage, embrace the psychological advantage he will not have over Nicki.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. This player is not checking behind, and he will stab at the river with A high. I like the OP's play this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually surprised that Nick bet the river; that's not usually his MO. He would probably check behind 75% of the time and hope that his A high is good.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense to me. How am i calling a bet "lightly" with top pair? Aren't you the one who always says that he plays "ABC poker" and "isn't anything special"? If that's your opinion of his play, then why would you expect him to radically adjust the way he plays hands against me? I really don't get what you're saying. I don't see how this hand is anything other than a standard hand. He would play this hand exactly the same way against me if our situations were reversed and he was in the BB with the Q8s. Except that he would bet the river.

If there's something I'm missing here, please elaborate.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why there is great meta value to check-call this hand on the river, the OP needs to use this to his advantage, embrace the psychological advantage he will now have over Nicki.

[/ QUOTE ]

had to fix my own post [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 AM

I nearly jumped out of my pants when Nicky bet this river and was no good. I actually did jump out of my pants when Nicky checked the turn also.