Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Default Re: NFL Week 10 Sunday Night Football: Colts@ Chargers

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the Colts, this obviously wasn't a game that shows their true strength. Barring further injuries, I don't think anyone would doubt them bouncing back unless they have 1-2 more atrocious games.

That said, this game does count for something. Is anyone at all close to ranking Dallas or Pittsburgh above the Colts right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am, but that's because of the injuries. The 100% Colts are a solid #2 or 1b, but who knows when they'll be 100% again.

Cody
Old 11-12-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What I'm really surprised about is that one post about one pass interference no-call that, even if close either way, has gotten so many people's little lace panties in a bunch. I have somehow earned the power to make otherwise rational people go completely insane just by making an argument for something.

They can't simply disagree and move on with life, they have to open up the floodgates and flame me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason you are getting flamed is because it wasn't close.

The fact that you you don't recognize this makes it impossible to take anything else you say about football seriously.
Its like you are arguing that 2+2=5 then saying, "well its close, lets agree to disagree. Now take me seriously while I tell you about quadratic equations."
Old 11-12-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its like you are arguing that 2+2=5 then saying, "well its close, lets agree to disagree. Now take me seriously while I tell you about quadratic equations."

[/ QUOTE ]

Referee's opinions =/= Math. Hell even "Rulebook interpretation" =/= Math.

Not that your point is off, but that analogy really doesn't play. Calls are almost always argued, math is not.

Cody
Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM

I think the 07 Colts are the best team of the last 10 years, excluding 07 Patriots.

they are basically the 99 Rams.

but, they are going to need to get healthy.

losing Freeney would be gigantic, bigger than losing Sanders imho. the only chance they have against the Pats is to generate constant pressure on Brady with the front 4, like they did in the 1st half of the Pats game. without Freeney they can't do that, and that gives Brady another second or 2, and that's enough to make a huge difference.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also Edge, you claim to never make it personal.
You attacking me last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

And me a month ago. Note that I never attacked him at any point during that thread, even after he called me a mental defective. I was honestly trying to understand where he was coming from.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And me a month ago. Note that I never attacked him at any point during that thread, even after he called me a mental defective. I was honestly trying to understand where he was coming from.

[/ QUOTE ]

That thread was funny as hell. This paragraph still cracks me up:

"The defense getting 2 shots at a block is better than one, obviously. Same for a fumbled snap, or even a simple shank. They're not that common on any one given play, but you get two shots at it, and who knows what can happen?"
Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus, do you people not realize that a 29 yard field goal is easier for an NFL kicker than a 24 yarder when you're kicking it from the hash? The angle's the only thing that can make it remotely missable and the angle's easier from further out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the hashes are at the width of the uprights, I don't think this is the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

This interested me so I looked up the dimensions.

Field goal pole is 9.75' from center.
Hash is 20' from center.

Hash to pole distances are thus 10.25' and 29.75'.

Kicks are 72' and 87' respectively.

Thus, angle for the 24 yarder is 14.348 degrees.
The angle for the 29 yarder is 12.159 degrees.

Second one is more difficult.

But to factor how much more difficult, you need to find the standard deviation of a kicker's (or more specifically, Vinitari's) error from the center (in degrees) and turn that into a probability distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you are looking at dimentions for an NFL field. It's different than college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. Feel free to correct me if you find different measurements. It's basic geometry stuff... arctans and all that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, according to my eyes, and this web site, the NFL hash marks are the width of the goal posts. I trust that I don't have to go through the trigonometry to show that as long as the ball is between the goal posts, the angle will decrease the further back you go.

The dimentions you gave are for a college field, so for college, your analysis would be correct.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 07 Colts are the best team of the last 10 years, excluding 07 Patriots.

they are basically the 99 Rams.

but, they are going to need to get healthy.

losing Freeney would be gigantic, bigger than losing Sanders imho. the only chance they have against the Pats is to generate constant pressure on Brady with the front 4, like they did in the 1st half of the Pats game. without Freeney they can't do that, and that gives Brady another second or 2, and that's enough to make a huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, a post that is relevant and makes sense. Current Colts are still number 2 IMO, please get healthy so we can see the best game in the history of the NFL.