Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 10-18-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Re: why does this forum care so much about religion

Vhawk please see the forum posting rules:

[i]If you meet someone that is very controversial in real life, 2+2 will be the perfect medium to find rebuttals to his/her arguments. Feel free to attack his or her stance as much as you wish.

It didn't look like a stance you were attacking. I realize I'm not one of the old established cronies on SMP, but is common courtesy too much to expect?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[i]If you meet someone that is very controversial in real life, 2+2 will be the perfect medium to find rebuttals to his/her arguments. Feel free to attack his or her stance as much as you wish.

It didn't look like a stance you were attacking. I realize I'm not one of the old established cronies on SMP, but is common courtesy too much to expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not calling you a moron, I am dead serious about that, although I can see how it might sort of look that way. I apologize if thats the way you took it. I'm not trying to weasel out of anything, I seriously was not calling you a moron at all. I was analogizing, if everyone calls you a moron you are likely a moron, if everyone says you are crazy, you are likely crazy. I was just trying to rebut your argument that "history is littered with people that everyone thought was wrong."
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 PM

if everyone calls you a moron its more likely that everyone is a jackass than it is that youre a moron
Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I tell the neighborhood girls... It's not really all about you.

luckyme
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if everyone calls you a moron its more likely that everyone is a jackass than it is that youre a moron

[/ QUOTE ]

Or at least tactless. But jackass and correct arent mutually exclusive.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Or at least tactless. But jackass and correct arent mutually exclusive.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm not called a moron by a jackass at least one time an hour at the poker table, then I figure I'm not doing my job correctly. Being a jackass and being correct ( at an internet poker table) may not be completly mutually exclusive, but pretty darn close.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:46 AM

Subfallen:

[ QUOTE ]
Ship it! I'm an atheist, but I agree that the modern predominance of atheism in the intellectual community can make atheists unjustifiably dismissive of theists.

Anyone who starts to imagine that theism is "simplistic" or "unsophisticated" should just read Dostoevsky for a couple years straight. Thanks for the other book recommendations, I will look into them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol I knew I shouldn't have put the Kierkegaard on the list. Too popular. The first two were the ones that immediately came to mind when I read this thread, and they're both quick reads. Speech 1 in the Schleiermacher is really cool. Ya Dostoevsky is the [censored] man. Rebellion and The Grand Inquisitor in the Brothers Karamazov are such sick chapters.

Luckyme:

[ QUOTE ]
Even more ridiculous, for obvious reasons, are theists telling other theists what theists believe. no?

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of religious thinking and writing is not merely to "tell other theists what theists believe", which is what you seem to be suggesting. Have you ever read and book (The End of Faith perhaps) and said "Yes, yes! The author is on to something here!"

[ QUOTE ]
What were you hoping would come out of reading your book list? That theists can't agree about the nature of god? heck, we can learn that walking around the neighborhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If the point was that theists can't agree on the nature of God, then I could have listed any books, or, as you say, suggested that you simply walk around the neighborhood. I picked these particular books because of their specific content as it relates to this thread.