Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Claritin-D

It makes me very hyper, my neck & shoulders stiff, my heart race, and makes it very difficult for me to sleep. I am, however, getting a crapload of stuff done today. Anyone else affected by Claritin-D this way?

Short backstory below for those who are interested...

Ran out of my normal allergy medication (Astelin, a nasty-tasting nasal spray that works really well) this weekend, called pharmacy to refill, and was told that the refill needs Dr. approval. Dr's office is closed until Monday. OK, I'll get by w/ OTC meds for the next day or two. I'm subbing with 12-hour Claritin-D, and am really amped up today (see above symptoms). When Claritin-D first came out and I tried it, I had these same effects, and my then-doctor told me these occur in about 5% of people who take it. I can handle it for today, but was curious if others are similarly affected. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Claritin-D

I take claritin and decongestant separately, and have no problems.

Is psuedophed the D in Claritin D?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 PM

The D in Claritin-D means it has pseudoephedrine. Some people have side effects that you are describing. I take allegra-d and have similar side effects. I am not a doctor, but a doctor friend told me the ephedrine part is a stimulant and given enough claritin d, you can make speed out of it. I don't know if I was being BS'ed or not.

I know one guy that takes pieces of allegra as a low grade stimulant. Also, if you chew the pill, all the pseudoephrine is released immediately giving you a bigger boost sooner.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 PM

only 5% of people? I thought it happened to like everyone. It def does to me, I like it, its like the old ephedra pills, but to a lesser extent, and actually does the job of stopping my allergies.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 PM

Psuedoephedrine doesn't do a thing to me.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The D in Claritin-D means it has pseudoephedrine. Some people have side effects that you are describing. I take allegra-d and have similar side effects. I am not a doctor, but a doctor friend told me the ephedrine part is a stimulant and given enough claritin d, you can make speed out of it. I don't know if I was being BS'ed or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's commonly used to make meth, which is why at least in some states you have to show identification to purchase and they keep a record of it. The pseudoephedrine is the same stuff that's in Sudafed.