Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Do you think poker is a game involving skill?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

i think your friend was referring exclusively to dinner. dinner is usually multiple dishes served family style. fried rice is typically eaten for breakfast or lunch.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 AM

td,

"I retracted yet you keep bringing it up. I am not understanding why. I am not understanding why."

You seemed surprised that I got the impression I did, so I explained why I got it it, that's all. I brought that point up because to me it showed that when you were initially talking about fried rice eating, you were making that statement in the context of all patrons of the restaurant, not any specific demographic. You later clarified your revised opinions clearly.

My experience is that people of all ages eat fried rice, but I have no idea whether young people eat fried rice more than older people. I've never been much of a fried rice guy, for stuff like that I generally prefer noodle dishes over rice dishes.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chris,

El D's post time- 04:47 PM
My response time- 10:37 PM
Your response time to my post-10:39 PM

Wow, get away from the computer and maybe you won't be so wound up--what are you just waiting for that thread to be bumped so you can troll a post not directed at you?

Haha, you sir are a weird guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, i work on the internet. that's cool how you don't want to address any issues though.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry, i work on the internet. that's cool how you don't want to address any issues though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I am addressing every issue just not w/ you...so let's get the hint.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 AM

zzz.. goodbye
Old 11-29-2007, 02:17 AM

Looking at the prices on those menus makes me want to cry, food is so rid. cheap over there.

Menu from my nearest Thai place
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 AM

tdarko loses. not surprising.

[ QUOTE ]

But for dinner, you can also order straight fried rice as an entree as well, although as Darko points out, only a savage would order that alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a savage ^^
Old 11-29-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, on the road today I talked to a close friend who for the last 3 years--every offseason (professional baseball player) he lives in Thailand and teaches English as a second language. I asked him about this:

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, this from BeerMoney, who I think lives in Thailand: "Fried rice is very much a stand alone meal in Thailand."

And from KKF: "So, fried rice (which I will define as white rice fried in a pan with oil and seasoning and a small amount of meat) is considered a stand alone meal."

[/ QUOTE ]

He said fried rice is hardly ever if ever eaten as a stand alone dish unless you are the poorest of the poor and for some background he said his province's avg annual income in American money was 1K so not a wealthy community--and even in his province it was rare. He said in Thailand eating is a BIG deal, tons of plates on the table and everyone eats off of each dish. He said fried rice is a side dish that goes w/ the meat. He said his 3 years in 3 different areas have all had the same experience as far as food, he also said what KKF was saying earlier in this thread that the food is much much different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend is very much wrong wrt "food of the poor". Most meals/dishes in Thailand cost the exact same amount: 20 baht. Pad see ew, pad thai, kapaow gai, gwai diao, etc are all the same price... Fried rice is not the food of the poor. My wife is thai, and has fried rice quite often. Most places include a healthy portion of meat with it, so it truly fills you up. I'd be willing to believe the fried rice dishes in a America suck in comparison to the ones here.

Your friend is somewhat right in the sense of people going out for a big meal with friends, but even then, seafood fried rice, or something a little fancier will probably be ordered.

In fact a woman down the road makes primarily fried rice, and has a steady flow of traffic throughout the day.

Nevertheless, i need to try more stuff [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

One more thing, the fried rice is not there to "go with the meat." It usually includes the meat. I prefer pork.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One more thing, the fried rice is not there to "go with the meat." It usually includes the meat. I prefer pork.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. Did people think restaurants were just too nice and had to add meat, and that just because the name is "fried rice" and not "fried rice with meat" that they shouldn't be getting the meat and a REAL fried rice meal is just fried rice?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 AM

My GF ( who is thai and has read the thread ) agrees that Fried rice isn't a typical thai dishe. But it's really really popular around here, just about every restaurant serves fried rice with chicken/pork/schrimp/crab and so on...

She agrees that just about nobody in thailand spend one week without eating fried rice.

The staple traditional thai meal ( if this thing exist ) would be : One plate of white rice, one plate of meat ( with various sauces and type of preparations )and one soup ( with or without noodles ). That's for central thailand.

In the north replace the soup( or add ) som tam or another thai salad, and instead of white rice serve sticky rice.

In the south, the white rice is very often eaten with curry and meat ( or fish ).

In traditional thai food the rice is never mixed with anything ( you do it yourself ).

Nowadays every thai restaurant I've tried serves fried rice with chicken ( kao pad gai ), and many thais love it.