Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

[ QUOTE ]
We definitely need a special teams coach. Our special teams were subpar. Mesko's good, but our punt and kickoff returns were terrible. Breaston's absense is not an excuse. How many times did our KO returner get hit at the 12 yard line by 3 opponents? We never blocked anybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Special teams has been abysmal this year. But I don't think Michigan has ever had a special teams coordinator. The NCAA limits the amount of "coaches" a team can hire and have on the sidelines (1 head coach, 9 assistants, two graduate assistants). At U of M, special teams responsibilities have historically been divided up among the coordinators and other assistants. Michigan does have an assistant who is given the title of Special Teams Quality Control, or something like that, but I think he has other duties/focuses outside of special teams.

I think LSU has a special teams coordinator, so this is something that could change if Miles is hired.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
as a buckeyes fan, i would be a lot happier with michigan hiring les miles than i would be with michigan hiring jeff tedford or jon gruden.

is miles better than carr? sure, but that's not really the debate here.

[/ QUOTE ]

But of course it's not clear that Tedford would come (might be hoping for an NFL offer, or might just like the west coast, that's the rumor with his wife not wanting to leave). Gruden of course would be a longshot, and all we have to go on is some throw-away comment where he said his ideal job would be coaching at Michigan, which is nice and all but not something to get too excited about. Miles seems to be the best of the reasonable options, unless you somehow believe you could get Urban or Stoops or something, and that's ludicrous.

BTW on Miles, I reserve judgment on most of his work since I just haven't seen enough or don't know enough about it all. But, one thing: turning Okie State from crap into a respectable team is pretty impressive. Not so much for that alone, but because he did it at the same time Oklahoma and Texas were getting really good again. It'd be one thing if he exploited a downturn by division and recruiting rivals, but he didn't.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting stats-thing

Don't know if this is meaningful but it is an interesting look (I thought) at Carr vs. other coaches against different types of teams (by ranking). Infer whatever you will from it.

BTW, if Michigan wins Carr will be 3rd all-time in Big Ten win % (10 season minimum; this keeps Tressel out, though he'll be way up there in 3 years) behind Bo and Yost. Woody is 3rd/4th, Crisler is 5th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some interesting stats on that page for Spurrier (stats are for when he was at Florida using the final AP top 25 polls):
-83-1 vs. unranked teams (Anybody know who the lose was to?)
-44% of his games were against top 25 teams
-23% of games were against top 10 teams

[/ QUOTE ]

The Spurrier thing was just amazing when I first looked at it. The other thing is that Holtz was pretty damned good. Even moreso when it turns out that no one can win at ND at an elite level (or they only hire incompetents). But he had an excellent record against very hard competition.

Also, the fact that Lloyd has 1 fewer win vs. a top ten than Joe Pa is hilarious.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
" hiring jeff tedford or jon gruden hiring jeff tedford or jon gruden"

gruden would destroy college football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gruden does seem a perfect fit for college. Is this just wishfull thinking or is there a rumor out there or any reason to think this might happen?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 AM

Gruden's a terrible fit for college football. Look at the kind of quarterback he prefers, he's always been best with a veteran. He was practically scooping up anyone with 10+ years experience this season, can you imagine how a bunch of 18-22 year olds would drive him crazy?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gruden does seem a perfect fit for college. Is this just wishfull thinking or is there a rumor out there or any reason to think this might happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what alluded to above; that in some interview he was asked what his ideal job would be and he said coaching at Michigan. But I wouldn't read a ton into that, given the throwaway context of it.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW on Miles, I reserve judgment on most of his work since I just haven't seen enough or don't know enough about it all. But, one thing: turning Okie State from crap into a respectable team is pretty impressive. Not so much for that alone, but because he did it at the same time Oklahoma and Texas were getting really good again. It'd be one thing if he exploited a downturn by division and recruiting rivals, but he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is honestly the most comforting thing to me about him. To make that team good with Texas and Oklahoma recruiting like they were at the time is very, very impressive.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 AM

It's a long shot but I am begging, please, ONE TIME...Brian Kelly. I can't stress this enough and nobody will listen anyway, but I swear this would be a great hire.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:09 AM

Can anyone defend Les Miles as far as gameday coaching goes?

I'm scared that Michigan will hire a Michigan man and we will be stuck with Les for the next couple of decades even if he goes 7-5 or 8-4 year in, year out.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd probably institute a pro-style offense. Let them try to stop it!