Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 12:39 AM

Default 6-max, dealing with a preflop maniac?

I'm at a table, unfortunately he's 2 to my left, and he's literally raising every single hand preflop. If it's raised to him, he calls almost every time.

He's betting most every hand post flop.

How do you deal with this guy if you're not hitting or hitting really weak, like 2nd pair? He's absolutely crushing the table, up over 4 buyins. At one point he took 8 pots in a row.

I'd love to stand up, but getting in 50+BB with top pair seems insanely stupid. Do you just wait and wait and wait? If I were in position on him, I'd be able to do something I think.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Re: 6-max, dealing with a preflop maniac?

Site and stakes please, sounds dreamy!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 AM

limp reraise aces vs him. Felt big draws on the flop.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at a table, unfortunately he's 2 to my left, and he's literally raising every single hand preflop. If it's raised to him, he calls almost every time.

He's betting most every hand post flop.

How do you deal with this guy if you're not hitting or hitting really weak, like 2nd pair? He's absolutely crushing the table, up over 4 buyins. At one point he took 8 pots in a row.

I'd love to stand up, but getting in 50+BB with top pair seems insanely stupid. Do you just wait and wait and wait? If I were in position on him, I'd be able to do something I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, PLO .5/1. Would be dreamy if I ever hit the flop... Being OOP most of the time makes it really tough. I know in NLHE you wait and play premium hands at a maniacal table, but I'm not sure what that means in PLO, plus I can't over-raise in PLO and force it to be a preflop decision with the premium cards.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
limp reraise aces vs him. Felt big draws on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, got him once on that (aces). He's now 400BB deep, I'm about 150BB. I can't get to the felt that quickly. I suppose I'm actually asking how to play deep stack OOP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 12:57 AM

You actually have great position on him. Since he is leading the action in every betting round, the blinds are effectively nullified in relation to him so you basically are in the CO on every hand.

You can either limp reraise with all your strong hands (aces, well coordinated hands containing TT-KK, single suited runs and better). If he's not reraising often preflop you gain a lot more value on the flop by letting him take the lead preflop and on the flop.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 AM

Ummm, get it in 60-40 or better and hope. =)

I'd continue to trap and get it in with big draws!

Full Tilt?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:36 PM

Also be aware that people on a card rush look a lot like maniacs. The fact that he's up 4 buyins suggests he is betting for value rather than just being an idiot.

At lower stakes (I don't play higher stakes but guess it's different) when people are very active and build a stack quickly after sitting down the rest of the table often disbelieve and start taking shots with marginal hands, which is pretty sweet for the guy with all the chips.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also be aware that people on a card rush look a lot like maniacs. The fact that he's up 4 buyins suggests he is betting for value rather than just being an idiot.

At lower stakes (I don't play higher stakes but guess it's different) when people are very active and build a stack quickly after sitting down the rest of the table often disbelieve and start taking shots with marginal hands, which is pretty sweet for the guy with all the chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was both. He wasn't really catching a lot of cards preflop. He was raising with a lot of really poor hands (like 2469ss). He was catching a hell of a lot of flops though and taking down a lot of small pots without contest.

The flip side is that people started calling him down for large chip amounts with fairly weak hands like 2 pair and the maniac would have caught something good that hand.

Sounds like I was a bit too tight, but not overly so. I just didn't have much that ever developed into a hand. I might have been folding some marginal hands though that would have played well post flop.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:52 PM

That reminds me once I was playing 4-handed PLO live, and we played well over 100 hands. There was a really tight nitty player to my left who didn't adjust much to shorthanded. I play pretty tight in full ring, so my image is that I am tight and solid. I raised 80% of my buttons and 60% of my cutoffs, and only got re-raised once.

It was pretty fun.

His preflop isn't that bad if he is in position. You can exploit his flop play by always checking, and then check-raising if you have a good hand.