Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Harris Ranch trip report

It's in the middle of nowhere. Good only if you're driving up route 5 from LA north, of, like our hero, you have access to your own personal air chauffeur.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM

I asked my friend about this place, thinking it would be a perfect place for her and her husband to go. They often fly in their plane from L.A. to Big Bear for dinner, etc. She said that she's never been but has had their steaks, because her husband brings some home to grill:

"Whenever he has to fly 'north', he always stops there for fuel, lunch and brings home steaks....the one time a year we eat steak! They put the steaks in a bag and give you an ice pack to go with it. Pretty cool (and very expensive)."
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 PM

I stopped at this place last summer, on a drive from San Francisco to LA. We didn't go to Harris Ranch itself, and instead got Subway from the gas station / mini-mart. This was back when I was manic and delusional and believed that I was about to recieve a positive HIV test result, which belief I had acquired based on someone's hand motions that I believed to be predicting the future. The mini-mart had a little sign at the register saying that Harris Ranch employees could get an employee discount but that they had to show ID. I think the mini-mart was a Harris Ranch property, maybe?

This place really is in the middle of nowhere. I guess enough people do the trip from LA to SF and back to make a highway-side awesome place like this possible and very popular.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped at this place last summer, on a drive from San Francisco to LA. We didn't go to Harris Ranch itself, and instead got Subway from the gas station / mini-mart. This was back when I was manic and delusional and believed that I was about to recieve a positive HIV test result, which belief I had acquired based on someone's hand motions that I believed to be predicting the future. The mini-mart had a little sign at the register saying that Harris Ranch employees could get an employee discount but that they had to show ID. I think the mini-mart was a Harris Ranch property, maybe?

This place really is in the middle of nowhere. I guess enough people do the trip from LA to SF and back to make a highway-side awesome place like this possible and very popular.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what to make of this post.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:05 PM

May I ask how you do that? Did you drive over there and buy their prime rib and cook it yourself? Or do they sell their beef somewhere in the market?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 PM

I think Whole Foods carries Harris' products (at least in L.A. area. I think you can also find them througout the Bay Area).

I think time or year is key for visiting Harris. Prevailing winds are important. In that spring and summer, I believe the winds blow the stench south onto the property. I had stayed at the hotel one night in May and the smell was all over the place.

However, I have been there in the fall many times, and I didn't notice the smell.

Harris is a good place to stop for a meal if you are driving the 5. However, if you have a little more time to spend, I would recommend going to "Woolgrowers" in Los Banos. It is a Basque, family style, restaurant. Well worth it.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 PM

It would've been pretty cool if instead of landing in the plane, you dudes sky dived down Johnny Utah/Bodhi style.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:39 AM

lol