Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: 600: I Know We All Hate It But..

I have a question for the group, when I am running tight on a table, I like to raise pocket 33 from EP, and cbet it if I can. If I hit my set, I play it like a cbet but of course I am coming over the top of any raise. Is this a leak?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 PM

I would say that if it is a non-threatening board and you are coming over the top of a raise with your tight image, then it is a leak. On more coordinated boards, coming over the top is o.k.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And since no one else said it, I hate preflop in both hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you have two players that are 33/25 behind you and love to reraise in positiona and apply preasure postflop, what would you like to do with your small pps PF then?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And since no one else said it, I hate preflop in both hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you have two players that are 33/25 behind you and love to reraise in positiona and apply preasure postflop, what would you like to do with your small pps PF then?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first hand... raise. My mind reels at the horrible horrible hands I would pop here. You, on the other hand, have a pocket pair and position on the world. Raise it up, get some money in the pot, cut down the competition, take the betting lead. This seems like poker 101.

The second hand... is at least a little debatable. I raise it also. I wouldn't mind a fold at all though. But a limp I would only like if you do this with a wide range. IIRC you play a TAG game, and this preflop line would work better with a LAG game, where your range could include all manner of hands, including monsters and SCs and whatnot.

I know the small pairs in EP is a little philosophical debate around here. I'm definitely not going to claim that I'm "right" on small pairs in EP or MP. But imo open limping 33 doesn't set you up for many +EV situations as a TAG (out of position, little fold equity, well defined range, etc.).
Old 11-02-2007, 07:29 PM

ok then. The first hand you open raise to $18, and the co as he does more than often makes it $55, fold to you, now what?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok then. The first hand you open raise to $18, and the co as he does more than often makes it $55, fold to you, now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is not going to 3 bet nearly as much as he is going to raise your limp.

Limping with to call a raise and set mine vs these types of players is bad.

You are better off raising or folding.

Edit: talking about hand 2 ldo.

Hand 1 call is ok (although I would raise).

Old 11-02-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hand 1 is already opened and CO has folded. I assume you're talking about hand 2. I don't care what you do as long as its not 4-bet. Getting only 10:1 IO against a good tricky reg I just fold.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:56 PM

right..hand 2. The thing is, it's pretty rare to see a cold call in these games, you're getting 3 bet a lot. I've thought about what to do, because it can make you either very tight or make you ride a roller coaster. In these spots, I've decided to limp and call a raise. I'm not just set mining as I do plenty of donking or c/ring without my set to balance it out. Also, I do some limp rring with big hands to balance as well. I really can't thinking of anything else to do. Raising and then folding all of our equity seems like an absolute scam. You get someone like Kelisitaan to your left, and things get hairy like this.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Things to keep in mind: (1) you're a better player than me and (2) I play in lower stakes where there's less 3-betting. That said I think I see where our differences are. You're doing your range balancing post flop mixing in c/c and c/r with or without the set. I don't think I'm good enough at hand reading to tangle post flop like that, so I want to balance it preflop.

It works for me. I'll keep it in mind though as the games get worse and the good players trickle down to my limits. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 08:34 PM

Kurt:

I'm not saying I have THE answer to this puzzle here, cuz I'm just trying to figure out how to handle the aggression you find at 5/10. I see a lot of raise/folding, and it just doesn't seem possible to me to think that is the best way to go. I think it would be an interesting thing to start looking at people winrates with small pps with different strategies. Also, I'm pretty nitty lately, so my image works well when I show aggression.