Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Smooth Calling a 3-bet PF with AA

Hey guys, its been a while.

Live 3/6 game

Villian (BB) is a pretty good TA player who i've played with before. My image is also very TA, but I'm not sure if BB has been playing attention (he has been on his phone alot)

Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the CO

2 limpers to Hero who raises
Button calls
Sb fold
BB 3 Bets
2 limpers fold
Hero ???

Since villian has been pretty tight, I put his 3-bet range around 10-10+ or AJs+ AKo.

How many people are smooth calling here? I figure if I 4-bet he is going to put me on AA or KK and all further deception is lost in the hand.

Hero calls, as does Button

Flop : J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (11 sb)

BB bets
Hero raises
button folds
BB 3-bets
Hero ???

You've got to put him on JJ+ now right? How many are smooth calling again here? Once again for deception, hoping to raise him on the turn. How many are 4-betting? I thought that 4-betting would allow me to determine where i'm at, if I'm raised again he has JJ and im in trouble.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Smooth Calling a 3-bet PF with AA

I like a smooth call and then a raise on the turn. If he re-raises you're probably just calling him down. I think given he's been on the phone and you slow played PF (to an extent) he's not 100% putting you on even an overpair here at this point.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 AM

preflop is OK IMO

flop: you got the desired result, so 4-bet. if he makes it 5, i slow down. does any one waite for the turn to raise here? your either WA or WB, and im going with WA, so i might waite till 4th street to turn on the jets.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:29 PM

I'd like the pf smooth call a lot more if it was hu. With button in, I 4-bet it.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 PM

wow, i didnt notice that. 4 bet preflop
Old 11-30-2007, 12:57 PM

4bet PF.
Given how you played it, I think your plan for the turn is fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like the pf smooth call a lot more if it was hu. With button in, I 4-bet it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wholeheartedly. HU IP, you can get sexy, but with another player in (not to mention you're OOP against the button) push your equity now.

Given that you underrepresented your hand PF, you can call here and pop the turn if you like, or just charge him now. That's the great thing about being in position; you can take people apart at your leisure.

Question for the forums: If we raise the turn and he treys, are we folding the river UI?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wholeheartedly. HU IP, you can get sexy, but with another player in (not to mention you're OOP against the button) push your equity now.

Given that you underrepresented your hand PF, you can call here and pop the turn if you like, or just charge him now. That's the great thing about being in position; you can take people apart at your leisure.

Question for the forums: If we raise the turn and he treys, are we folding the river UI?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if he's still on the phone.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heck no! We've underrepresented our hand. He's putting us on AJ or something like that and figures his QQ or KK is good. If he 3-bet the turn I'm likely to just call down, but I'm never folding the river.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:50 PM

By slowplaying our hand PF we encourage him to play weaker hands more aggressively. That means we're not getting away from showing this down unless the board is way worse than this.

The advantage we get from deception is limited since we now have a harder time putting him on a hand. Assuming he has JJ here when we didn't cap PF is a big mistake.