Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: relationship between SAT scores and intelligence?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure Philo's points are truer for non science classes.
A motivated student at Iowa State is going to get better at English Literature than a lazy student who barely skates through Brown. But the same is much less likely to be true in Physics. Innate intelligence, unfortunately plays too great a part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taraz and Tame Dueces,

Disagree with this? If so, why? How are you using the definition of intelligence differently to DS?

[/ QUOTE ]

The definition of intelligence is too narrow. You can be very intelligent at some mental tasks and not especially adept at math.

And if you are very adept at math you might be bad at some other mental task, and thus not be very intelligent when using those as a measure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for answering my questions, but I don't think you've actually answered my questions.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM

I disagree with how it is worded. If you replace 'intelligence' with 'mathematical aptitude' instead in DS' post I would agree with it.

Included in mathematical aptitude I would probably include the ability to work hard with studies, which will always be incredibly helpful in mathematics/physics. You might even want to include measurements of the brain's pleasure centres when reaching mathematical solutions - being geared towards that would be a great boon.

For the rest of my views on how it should be defined, see my above post.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM

So do you disagree with DS's statement or agree, as worded? It is a one worded answer.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So do you disagree with DS's statement or agree, as worded? It is a one worded answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't, as I already readily explained. A one worded answer is exactly the uselessness of the intelligence term I am arguing against.

If you say no you are assuming good intelligence isn't needed to do well in physics. If you say yes you assume a person is intelligent because he has mathematical aptitude.

Obviously some facet of intelligence will help you do well in physics, that doesn't mean you are intelligent at other mental tasks.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 PM

"Included in mathematical aptitude I would probably include the ability to work hard with studies, which will always be incredibly helpful in mathematics/physics."

Both clauses are just wrong.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Included in mathematical aptitude I would probably include the ability to work hard with studies, which will always be incredibly helpful in mathematics/physics."

[/ QUOTE ]

first clause i agree, but being able to work hard is helpful in any aspect of life
Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it helps you do your field better it should be included. That some slackers can get top grades is pretty uninteresting - a person with the same aptitude as them plus the ability to work hard is still the best bet for who ends up to be best.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If it helps you do your field better it should be included. That some slackers can get top grades is pretty uninteresting - a person with the same aptitude as them plus the ability to work hard is still the best bet for who ends up to be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two people with the same innate mathematical ability, but one works harder and will thus do better. I get that.

Anything that helps you in the field should be included in mathematical aptitude? wtf?