Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Omaha information/books, question about specific books

Recently I started playing Pot Limit Omaha. As I would like to improve my game, I wanted to ask the following:

1) Is the PLO-section in "Play Poker like the Pros" any good? Or is it just as flawed as the Holdem Limit one?

2) What about the PLO text in SS2? Can u recommend it?

3) What other books are a must read for a beginner, apart from Slotboom's?"

4) Where can I find useful Omaha information (articles, videos ...) online? (except from here of course)

Thank you.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Omaha information/books, question about specific books

1 and 2) They both suck

3) Slotbloom is not a good book for a beginner. It's more for a intermediate or advanced player. Try Omaha Poker by Bob Ciaffone

4) Pretty much nowhere. Most of the Omaha material available aside from here blows ass.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Pretty much nowhere. Most of the Omaha material available including from here blows ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best ways to learn omaha are to play hands and watch winners play. If you really are interested, there have been threads on how to beat PLO 25. I suggest searching them. Oh and if you like money don't go crazy over tptk.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:21 AM

According to Amazon, there will be two Omaha books coming out next month. The first is Pot Limit Omaha by Jeff Hwang and the second is Omaha High-Low Poker: How To Win At The Lower Limits by Shane Smith and Don Vines.

I, of course, have no idea if these will be any good for a beginner or any level of player. I just mention them to make people aware that there will be more choices soon.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM

I've loved Slotboom's book. I'm having a tough time finding the aggressive players required for the short-stacking at the .50/1.00 level.

I was shocked to see how skinny a book Ciaffone's is. It's barely over 100 pages and only one of the four sections is on PLO.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM

I have decided to learn PLO since I play poker full time and it would be good to branch out from just playing hold'em. Learning a new game is always fun too, plus I get to be a donk all over again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Hopefuly not for too long though!

Just ordered "Omaha Poker" and Slotboom's book. What about Stewart Reuben's book "How good is your PLO", any good? Is it targeted more for beginners or advanced players?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:40 AM

All I know about Jeff is that Jeff Hwang got in some heated argument in a forum with some other poster, it was hilarious.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about Stewart Reuben's book "How good is your PLO", any good? Is it targeted more for beginners or advanced players?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd recommend you read the Ciaffone and Slotboom books first and get a fair amount of playing experience before moving on to the Reuben book.

PJS