Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:41 AM

Default KK in the BB

FWIW, I didn't play this hand, but a 2p2 lurker did. We talked about it a bit, and it seemed pretty interesting, so I'm going to post it (hopefully he doesn't mind.)

So we have black KK in the BB. The table is loose and passive (Borg 10 if it matters.) I can't offer any specific reads, but the whole hand is multiway, so it should be less of an issue.

A limp, EP raises, two callers, we make it trey, everyone calls, 5 players for 3 bets.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

We check. Checked around.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

We check. Checked around.

River: Blank.

We bet.

Super standard?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: KK in the BB

I like a turn bet.You may get a hand like Ac8c, gut shots, or someone with a hand like TT with a heart to fold. A raise would suck, but you have few outs and may be ahead. A bet protects you if your ahead,and may buy you the pot if your behind to a weak A.Even if raised there may be enough odds or implied odds to draw to your full house.As played I bet/fold the river.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Bet the flop.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 PM

I check/fold the flop and bet/fold the turn. As played, I don't see much point in betting the river; aren't only aces and jacks going to call you ? I'd check and probably call one bet for a heads up show down.

Edit: It is my experience that monotone flops make players run and hide in terror. In my game if someone is holding a little ace, he would always just check both previous streets and call on the river if I bet.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:42 PM

flop: check/fold turn: bet/fold river: check
Old 10-17-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

I think the turn is the interesting street here, not the flop, but I would like to know your thought on the flop though.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM

checking flop & turn then betting river is a bluff - its not standard. Your gonna get looked up be any A to catch that bluff.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 PM

This is a really good point I didn't think about.

A's and J's beat us, and someone could have whiffed a C/R on the turn and we're going to get raised if that's the case.

It looks like the river is a valuebluff that fails as both, because any bluff equity is moot because an A is always calling, and we can't realistically hope to value bet here, because there is little that we beat that is going to call us.

So we check. Then what? What if the EP/MP/button bets? Muck it? Would our thinking change if the middle card doesn't pair the turn? Would we bet then?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 PM

As played I check/call the river if it's going to be a HU showdown. If somebody bets and there is a caller, however, again, you're going to have to lay it down; what can he call with that does not beat your Kings?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

I think the turn is the interesting street here, not the flop, but I would like to know your thought on the flop though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Grease, I somehow misread the action. I didn't realize that EP raised. What range would you put this raiser on? I'm assuming he is loose and passive too, so probably a pretty tight range - AJs+, AJo+, JJ+?

I was a bit hasty in my original post. I think we c/f the flop, and b/f the turn, check river if called.