Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Help Me Decide What To Do

It really doesn't sound like you want this job after reading all your replies in the thread. I wouldn't take it if I were you. You will end up a few months in, hating making the money you're making, yet convincing yourself to stay for the chance at a raise once your first year is up, etc...

If you had to pick a dream job, what would it be?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In all seriousness, are you willing to break the law to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

what did you have in mind for him?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you sell?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, if you can sell and like it sell for a couple years and build up some loot.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PJ,

I understand completely no one can tell me to take or not to take the job. I'm more interested in opinions and different ways of thinking about things. This is my decision and I'll have to live with it and know that I made it myself.

My father, who thought I was insane for moving out here without a job in the first place, told me not to take the job. If I'm looking for a scapegoat, it won't be anyone on these forums.

I also didn't come out here for this job. Before moving, I fired off my resume to a couple places through Monster and this was the one bite I got.

I have guilt backing out because I don't think I've ever turned down a job before in my life. I also don't know if I can find anything better. I haven't really even looked yet.

You are right though that being a retail bitch will be miserable.

[/ QUOTE ]

iggy, you seem very worried about your financial situation so i'd say take the job in the meantime while you look for a better one. you can always find time to look for another job at night or during breaks or your drives up north. i'd be surprised if you had to sign a contract or that it would be enforced for an entry level job paying 30k.

i work with many companies in the san diego area and have helped a lot of friends get jobs paying 35k or more. to be blunt you seem a little young or inexperienced from your posts, but if you send a good resume to iggy @ pokulator.com and have good references i can see if anyone needs someone with your qualifications.

best of luck with the search and welcome to the west coast.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 AM

Igg,

Too bad you did not listen to the advice that told you the move was an ill conceived mistake.

One bit of advice which you will likely ignore is that CA is an almost universally at will state. Have no fears of contracts, just find a 40K+ (my estimate) job that you will need to live in an SD apartment. Once you have that job, then quit the job for which you moved.

J
Old 05-15-2007, 02:39 AM

Iggy,

Start working ASAP, but in your case, a temp job would be better. You could probably get one that pays 14-17 an hour, maybe even office work(likely to be warehouse work though). You could then start searching for a permanent job. You are more attractive to potential employers if you are working then some bum lying around your apartment. I would also advise to not take on any debt if possible. Once you are firmly settled in, the added bill is a bit of a burden. Best of luck man!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:43 AM

Iggy,

The problem with this decision is that you're having to take it at a time when you're a bit loopy from uprooting and shifting. I know, I've done it. What you need to do is break this down to its essentials and look at it with a clear, untroubled, mind.

I would take this job for a few reasons:

1. Income. You will have some income coming in now. That makes a difference to your head-space, trust me. It will give you peace of mind and let you calm down a bit. Then you'll start to see what other opportunities are out there. You can survive on this money, dude. It will be a good learning experience.

2. Contacts. From the day you go in you'll be making contacts for other potential work. Show them what you can do, nail this job to the best of your ability.

3. Friends. You wanted to make some friends, right? This will put you on the right track.

If you read the thread where I documented my experiences then you'll know that I've done this a few times. I want to say that all the times I did this the moves that were a LOT easier were the ones where I was going with a job already tied up. With what I've learnt, and the info that you have provided in this thread, I wouldn't hesitate about taking this job.