Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Default How much pushing is too much?

I play pretty low stakes and do not have SNGTP....but I feel I pretty much know when pushing a hand is going to be +EV or not.

My problem is, if I pick up 99, AKs and A8s in that order, with 4 people left, say I have an M of 7, and everyone folds to the first two pushes...should I be folding the A8s?

If I picked it up first and hadnt pushed in awhile, it would be an easy push....but after two other pushes i probably look pretty maniacish.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: How much pushing is too much?

[ QUOTE ]
but I feel I pretty much know when pushing a hand is going to be +EV or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is, if I pick up 99, AKs and A8s in that order, with 4 people left, say I have an M of 7, and everyone folds to the first two pushes...should I be folding the A8s?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you know what's +EV but you don't know what's +EV? That's how I'm reading this post.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:43 PM

What I meant was, I know when a hand is pushable with my stack size.

its not like SNGTP takes this into account, does it?

But thanks for the help...
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM

You need to loosen the ranges of lower limit opposition for the 3rd push in a row. If you have been assuming an 'average' calling range for push 1 and 2 then give them a looser range and work out if your push is still +ev or not.

Its not just about what cards you should be pushing, its about calling ranges + stack sizes + blinds.

Cheers, Mark
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM

wkhtl,

Generally an active image will loosen people's calling ranges.

re: your particular question, if I had a gun to my head and was reading your OP and had to answer, I would say I push anyway. However, that's pretty useless advice since I have no idea how big the other stacks are and how they are situated around the table, have no reads, have no history of how loose or tight the blinds are beyond the fact they've folded the last 2 hands, and have no idea how loose the other guy will push (assuming you're UTG and the other guy didn't just fold) if you fold.

If you think they will call you a little looser then try to consider you will get called a little looser than normal maybe and go through whatever thought process you go through before all your push/fold decisions. But that seems obvious, which makes me think that normally, you don't consider calling ranges when making push/fold decisions, which makes me think that really, you don't make push/fold decisions as well as you think you do.

Also, sort of unrelated, I found it interesting that you "pushed 99 and AK" before getting dealt A8s instead of having "pushed the last 2 hands". It almost makes me think that if you had "pushed 34o and J6o" the last 2 hands before getting A8s, you would be thinking about the entire question differently. But that's neither here nor there.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to loosen the ranges of lower limit opposition for the 3rd push in a row. If you have been assuming an 'average' calling range for push 1 and 2 then give them a looser range and work out if your push is still +ev or not.

Its not just about what cards you should be pushing, its about calling ranges + stack sizes + blinds.

Cheers, Mark

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah that makes sense...my problem is just that if I say they would only call with the top 4%, then 5%, on the third one it probably drops a lot more and I'm having problems working out what the range should be...but I guess thats kinda up to me since its read dependent.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 PM

wkhtl,

Yes SNGPT takes stack sizes into account, although probably not in the way you think it does.

Checking the FAQ / searching for ICM posts would probably help you a lot.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wkhtl,

Yes SNGPT takes stack sizes into account, although probably not in the way you think it does.

[/ QUOTE ]Ohh, no, I know it takes stack sizes into account (i have the trial version) I meant it doesnt take into account push frequency.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 PM

Right, no it doesn't consider that because it's up to you to decide everyone's ranges. How you have been playing is just 1 of many factors that should go into that process.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wkhtl,

[/ QUOTE ]Ohh, no, I know it takes stack sizes into account (i have the trial version) I meant it doesnt take into account push frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

ENTER WIDER RANGES IS YOU THINK THEY ARE CALLING MORE BECAUSE YOU HAVE BEEN PUSHING FREQUENTLY.