Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: A lifetime of must reads

Story- Robert McKee

Anyone who is interested in screenwriting/filmmaking, or even storytelling of any type, should invest in this. I consider it the bible of screenwriting. McKee's is a punch-line to some Hollywood people, with all his seminars and cult-like fan base, but his book is probably the most enlightening work I've ever read.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Sci-fi & Horror are underrepresented here so I'm going to recommend 5 books by Dan Simmons:

Hyperion Series: Best sci fi series I've read. A lot of science fact and delves deep into politics and religion and the intertwining of the two.

Carrion Comfort: Another Dan Simmons book, hailed by Steven King. About a group of people that have the ability to control others. Couldn't put it down.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Philosophy:

Poetry, Language, Thought - Heidegger
Ich und Du (I and Thou, or I and You) - Buber
Old 08-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Ayn Rand - The Fountainhead
Ayn Rand - Atlas Shrugged
Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sci-fi & Horror are underrepresented here so I'm going to recommend 5 books by Dan Simmons:

Hyperion Series: Best sci fi series I've read. A lot of science fact and delves deep into politics and religion and the intertwining of the two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Maybe we were reading different books. Hyperion was good, and the Canterbury Tales conceit was fairly literary for science fiction. The vaguely connected short stories had a good feel. The Fall of Hyperion suffered in moving away from that format, but was still pretty decent. Endymion barely held my interest long enough to finish it, and I think I was borderline skipping some of the churchier stuff. I don't plan on ever reading the last one.

Given your reasons for liking Hyperion, you might consider the Book of the Long Sun series by Gene Wolfe. He once described it in an interview as a story of "a good man trapped in a bad religion," which is decent as a capsule summary but doesn't do justice to the awesomeness.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:40 PM

Any novel by Gene Wolfe except "There are Doors."

Communion by Whitley Strieber.

Exorcist by William Blatty
Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...you might consider the Book of the Long Sun series by Gene Wolfe. He once described it in an interview as a story of "a good man trapped in a bad religion," which is decent as a capsule summary but doesn't do justice to the awesomeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

Didn't see this before I posted. Read Book of the Old Sun series first, then BOTLS, then Book of the Short Sun. Together, a classic of modern sci-fi.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 PM

Guns, Germs, and Steel is an interesting read. I studied anthropology in college and this book is a great read especially for people who have no background in anthropology.

right now I'm reading "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.

It's historical fiction. About the battle of Gettysburg. The book is very good. It not only gives a great historical portrayal of the battle, but fleshes out a lot of the mythical characters who fought on both sides of the war.

The movie Gettysburg starring Martin Sheen as Robert Lee was based on the book.

I would also recommend "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. This is McCarthy's best book (I would recommend reading all of his books). It is destined to become a classic. It's a tragedy set in the Southwest US and Mexico during the mid 19th century. Very violent, but if you can get past the sickening gore there is a lot of beauty and really amazing prose. I read this book every year or so.

The story follows a group of bounty hunters that make a living by killing indians. It's hard to sum it up in a short synopsis. Just read it.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:58 AM

All three are very long but well worth the time. It's been a while but I remember being bummed out when each of these stories ended. They're so well written that I got really attached to the characters and wanted to read more. War and Peace was kind of tough just because it seemed like there were a thousand characters in the first five chapters but the story covers a huge world. When he brings it all together it's amazing. I almost gave up on it early, the reward is worth the effort. Definite +EV reads. I've read many of the books suggested in this thread and have to pick these three as my personal favorites.

The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas
The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
Old 08-17-2007, 07:53 AM

Harry Potter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]