Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

It is grossly immoral not to utilize cloning technology to replicate the world's most intelligent people.

The amount of suffering, death, and irreversible environmental damage that will occur because we refuse to artificially inflate the world's supply of universal geniuses is...immeasurable. And allowing it is grossly immoral.

Am I wrong? AM I WRONG?

Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Am I wrong? Am I wrong?

The world doesn't need more super intelligent people, it needs less stupid people. Am I wrong?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:18 AM

Maybe not, but I don't see any acceptable way to reduce the # of stupid people? Do you?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:20 AM

Unless you mean the exclusive source of new people is the cloning of geniuses there doesn't seem anything immoral about it providing there are no doomsday genetic problems with the process.

luckyme
Old 10-23-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe not, but I don't see any acceptable way to reduce the # of stupid people? Do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

spend money on education instead of war?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is grossly immoral not to utilize cloning technology to replicate the world's most intelligent people.

The amount of suffering, death, and irreversible environmental damage that will occur because we refuse to artificially inflate the world's supply of universal geniuses is...immeasurable. And allowing it is grossly immoral.

Am I wrong? AM I WRONG?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're implying that geniuses are as intelligent and as fruitful in their ideas as they are based solely upon genetics.

Although I agree that there must be a genetic component to intelligence, how can we make sure that this clone turns out to be hugely productive as well?

How many resources would you be willing to devote to the upbringing and education of this "genetic genius"?

Do we even know how to raise a child to take advantage of all his/her natural ability?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do we even know how to raise a child to take advantage of all his/her natural ability?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's about time we found out! And who better to practice on than 10,000 copies of Edward Witten (highest h-index of any living scientist.)
Old 10-23-2007, 03:46 AM

Others have already mentioned that the genetic effect may not, by itself, produce equally exceptional clones.

Aside from that - perhaps they'd consider it a nicer reward to be kept supplied with willing partners for doing it the old-fashioned way Is that MORE wrong?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 AM

There was a group that set up 30 years ago or more which took the semen of many of the most intelligent men of that time, and gave it to women who wanted to be mothers to see how it would impact their children. The result was kids that were super-smart, to the extent that they had memorized Chaucer before they were 10 years old. I can't give you any more information about it than that, I just remember seeing a documentary about it back in school.

What I can tell you though is that one of the boys had a news story covered about him in the last few years, and although he was still smart, he had completely rejected his mother for her dreams about what he had become and for what was expected of him because of who he was. He had evolved into a hippie who only longed to write music and study philosophy. This shows that you can be genetically a genius, but that doesn't always matter - you can still take a different path.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:19 AM

Caesar,

There's this great thing called Google. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reposit...erminal_Choice