Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-01-2007, 08:07 AM

Default 3/6 Stud High- 4 Flush + Pair vs. Paired Door

Given the action, I think it's highly unlikely that villain has trips here (he is playing more like a draw and an 8 is dead). I considered a raise here because it looks super strong and might knock out seat 4, giving me a chance to win the pot if I make two pair. OTOH, my ace looks super dead, raising paired door cards seems kind of suicidal, and seat 4 doesn't seem like he's going to fold any time soon . . .

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.58 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

4th Street - (1.92 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (6.96 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___????
Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Re: 3/6 Stud High- 4 Flush + Pair vs. Paired Door

What's Seat 4 supposed to think you have that he's scared of?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's Seat 4 supposed to think you have that he's scared of?

[/ QUOTE ]I was thinking aces up or rolled 5s, but I somehow missed that the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was folded on fourth meaning that a) he has aces so I don't, or b) he's on a diamond draw and doesn't care if I have aces up.

That the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is out actually makes my 4th street play look pretty bad, as I probably don't have the best draw [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, back to 5th, it looks like a raise never gets seat 4 out so calling is best. I did call- I was just wondering if a raise might be better.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM

After all the action on 4th street, I just call.

I think Seat 4 is more likely to have an AK flush draw, not As unless he has a history of slow-playing hands. He could have As up himself or even 3 Ks.

I am also very worried about Seat 5 considering he called a double raise and then the cap and then bets right out on 5th. He either has 3 8s or an enormous draw.

If he does have 3 8s, he has ~60% equity even if both of you have flush draws.

You could easily lose this hand even if you hit your flush, so I wouldn't get aggressive with it.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 PM

I agree with all others who have already posted. Seat #4 already has too much invested to be pushed off his hand by you raising on 5th street and he most likely has an AK hi diamond flush draw. Also, seat #5 betting-out on 5th street should set off alarms for you as it certainly means that he either has at least trips, a flour-flush with a pair or a four-straight with a pair. Fortunately, his 7s and 8s are near-dead so it is unlikely he already has a full-house and it is unlikely he could make one. Although normally having a four-flush with a pair like you have is a strong draw worthy of a raise but in this case it isn't since your A and your 7s are compromised. So at this point, you are unlikely to make a winning hand other than with a flush, and even it might lose to seat #4's higher flush. IMO raising is defintely EV-. I think you should call and be prepared to drop this in a heartbeat if either opponent appears to improve on 6th. Furthermore, if you don't have the stomach for taking this to the river for at least two more bets, then just fold on 5th.

P.S. Yes Jeff, I also think your raise on 4th was pretty bad, as all it accomplished was to bloat the pot making it more difficult for any of you to get away from your hands on subsequent streets.