Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-29-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Ask Golden_Rhino about going back to school as a 32 year old.

Hey guys,
I know that this forum is full of students, but most of them are in their early twenties. I went back to school as a 32 (now 33) year old. If any older posters have any questions about going back, or if anyone has any questions about what it's like to be the "old guy at the club", then ask away.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Ask Golden_Rhino about going back to school as a 32 year old.

does it suck? i'm a 21 yr old student currently taking time off, would you strongly recommend going back in the next 2-3 years or is being a student at 30something fun?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does it suck? i'm a 21 yr old student currently taking time off, would you strongly recommend going back in the next 2-3 years or is being a student at 30something fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am enjoying my time at school, but it's fun in a different way than it was when I was in my early twenties. The fun come for me in that I am doing something I have always wanted to do, and not in doing beer bongs all night.

So I guess if you want to go to school for the social aspects of it, then do it ASAP, but if you want to figure out what you want to do first, and take it seriously, then you can wait a while.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:32 AM

Do all the younger students hate you due to the fact that you actually do your work, study hard, want to be there and refuse to participate in beer pong tourneys?

Hows the score rate with the young female hotties? Don't tell me that you're married or some other crap, I need some good juicy college girl stories.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do all the younger students hate you due to the fact that you actually do your work, study hard, want to be there and refuse to participate in beer pong tourneys?

Hows the score rate with the young female hotties? Don't tell me that you're married or some other crap, I need some good juicy college girl stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before I went to school I dreaded being the older student. In my first go around at school I hated the mature students, and thought that I would be reviled in the same way, but thankfully that has not happened.

I get along great with my classmates, but I also don't try to be like them. The thing that younger people generally hate about mature students is that they ask too many stupid questions, and that they have a "let me tell you something sonny" kind of attitude, and not that they do their work. I avoid asking dumb questions, and don't talk down to my classmates, and as a result I am fairly well liked. I even got invited to a few parties, but I graciously declined.

As far as tail goes, sorry pal, I have a serious girlfriend. I will say that I do get flirted with quite a bit. I am not sure if it's the "older man" thing, or the fact that I don't look live every other guy on campus (pants falling down and sideways ball cap).
Old 03-29-2007, 05:46 AM

why did you drop out (I'm assuming you dropped out before completing an undergrad) when you were younger?
Are/were you the type of person that enjoys school?
what made you go back now?
what have you been doing since you dropped out?
do you need to go back or do you just feel like you want to learn more or feel the satisfaction of earning a degree?

i'm interested because i just dropped out of university and I don't really see myself having interest in going back soon, if ever. I dislike it very much and have 0 motivation to do well, and am wondering if I will get that motivation when I'm older.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 AM

why did you drop out (I'm assuming you dropped out before completing an undergrad) when you were younger?
- I completed a 3 year diploma in College in my twenties. I am now in University (I live in Canada. I went to the equivalent of a community college, and I am now in the equivalent of a State school).

Are/were you the type of person that enjoys school?
- I never really liked school a lot, but I was always good at it. I am treating school like work, so when it becomes a drag I just figure that's the way it is sometimes.

what made you go back now?
- I have always wanted to be a teacher, and when I turned 30 I realized that my twenties went by so quickly. I decided it was now or never as far as chasing the dream.

what have you been doing since you dropped out?
- I have worked in a variety of offices (sales, customer service etc...), and I ran my own business for a while. I was making good coin, but I still felt miserable.

do you need to go back or do you just feel like you want to learn more or feel the satisfaction of earning a degree?
- I didn't necessarily go back for self fulfillment, but I do like learning new things.

I'm interested because i just dropped out of university and I don't really see myself having interest in going back soon, if ever. I dislike it very much and have 0 motivation to do well, and am wondering if I will get that motivation when I'm older.
- Just do what makes you happy dude. School isn't for everyone (I don't mean that you're not smart enough). Just know that if you ever decide to go back, it's not that bad. FWIW, I never thought I would be back.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:13 PM

What do people consider "too" old for grad programs, such as an MBA or Law school? I feel there is less stigma in going back to these programs.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:21 PM

GR - please post some camera phone pics of cute chicks in your classes. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do people consider "too" old for grad programs, such as an MBA or Law school? I feel there is less stigma in going back to these programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really think there is an upper limit for grad programs. A lot of the TA's at my school look to be in their 40s. I agree that there is probably less of a stigma in those types of programs.