Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Default I don\'t understand my WiFi.

Because I am too cheap to pay for Broadband (no need to FYP, ty), I jack free WiFi. There's multiple connections here in LA. When I look at my available connections, I usually get two or three that I can use.

With this list pops a percentage that tells me how powerful the signal is. Usually the minimum is 20%, and it works fine.

I moved to a different place and here I get two available networks. One shows at 35%, and another shows at 20%, but for whatever reason, I am not able to connect.

-Why is this happening?
-Is there some kind of settings that I can change to improve my LAN card performance.

(btw, I will buy BB in the near future, when I buy a new computer. My present POS fascinates me to no end.)
Old 10-04-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: I don\'t understand my WiFi.

2p2 doesn't like people using their facilities to discuss how to steal things from other people.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 PM

Oh, my apologies. I will be more clear. In LA, there are several public hot spots. For example, all of Hollywood is blanketed with a connection called LinkSystem. Also, Hollywood and Highland has an open connection. These are the connections that I am referring to, as I live in the near Hollywood and Highland.

Politics aside, Mayor Villarigosa promised to blanket all of LA with free WiFi. This appears to be the first step. I do know that most of West Hollywood is blanketed with a WiFi called WeHo Wifi, which is free after you create a user-name and a password, and dLink.

I surely would not want to attempt to "crack" someone's code for my own use. My apologies if that is what you were thinking I was attempting. And I surely don't want this post responded too if it will make too many posters uncomfortable. Please feel free to lock if this is the case.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 PM

sorry for misunderstanding your post the first time around.

[ QUOTE ]
-Why is this happening?

[/ QUOTE ]
it is possible that the networks are password protected. thus, you would need a username/password to access them.

[ QUOTE ]
-Is there some kind of settings that I can change to improve my LAN card performance.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...elesstips.mspx

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifeh...pps-306436.php
Old 10-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Thank you Josem. After reading my initial post, I would probably think that I was an idiot as well, with my use of the word "jack," esp. Should have put a bit more thought into that.

My LAN screen shows me a lock on the Networks I cannot access without a password. Not important to know really, just something to mention, as my WiFi is not Windows based.

I'll take a look at this over the next few hours and report back.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 PM

what OS are you running?
Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 PM

I thought that this would take longer. It seems that my best solution is to by a router:

There are three connections that sell routers that are common here:

lynksys - Open Connection that covers Hollywood.
NetGear - Locked Connection that I see everywhere that appears to be broadband. I guess I would get the key once I buy a router?
dLink - Open Connection that covers Beverly Hills and most of West Hollywood, but comes in very strong.

Would it really matter which router I did buy?

I am also looking at AT&T's plans. I don't understand them, I am going to the store later today to check this out. Even with the present computer, I could at least get started on BB.

Freakin: My LAN card works similar to "netstumbler" found in the lifehacker link. Windows does not detect any WiFi Signals.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:31 PM

just don't get anything by netcomm.

you should be fine otherwise.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

NetGear - Locked Connection that I see everywhere that appears to be broadband. I guess I would get the key once I buy a router?
dLink - Open Connection that covers Beverly Hills and most of West Hollywood, but comes in very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me think that you are very confused. These are most likely people's personal wifi networks. They are the 3 default network names with each respective router. You see them all over town because few people realize they should change their SSID (or not broadcast it). They are different networks with the same name.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me think that you are very confused. These are most likely people's personal wifi networks. They are the 3 default network names with each respective router. You see them all over town because few people realize they should change their SSID (or not broadcast it). They are different networks with the same name.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting. I did some research, and linksys and dlink sell routers and other network devises to the public. I have thoroughly checked their web-sites and there is no talk of Internet charges. It appears to me, that if you are able to buy the required routers, that you would have no problem locking into their systems. Linksys was also originally built on a Linux Kernel, whatever could be derived from that.

I am also aware that certain "Wireless" connections are based on landlines and then is connected to a router. I imagine that several, if not most home networks work this way.

Some broadband networks are working through satellites now. If these systems are based strictly on airwaves, then perhaps their network is not as closed as some land line-based networks.

Really, I don't know what dlink or linksys is doing or exactly how they function. I just doubt that dlink and linksys has so many customers that all the routers are somehow blanketing the airwaves. This doubt is more compounded because I know that most (all?) WiFi is short distance.

NetGear is a network that is locked off to me. The interesting thing with them is also that I don't see any network plans.

For reference, I am posting an image of what I see when I search for a connection:

Hollywoodl... is Hollywoodland, and is a network that I know for sure is open to the public.

[image]

Most of the locked networks have the same 2WIRE... followed by various numbers. Others have unique names for the user.

What is dlink and lynksys doing with a WiFi signal if they do not have any plans? And why are they floating around insecure? Do telecomm companies rent from them? Or is this just a contract that I referenced earlier?

I am concerned about the honesty of this. Although I don't have a carrier, I do pay for WiFi, through not-free hotspots.