Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 AM

Default 3/6- Made KK on 6th In a Tiny Pot

So he finally comes alive with his ace. The pot is tiny so if I think he's been slowplaying an ace or now has two pair, I should fold. I have no reads on this guy, as it's like my third hand at the table.

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 2: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (1.33 SB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (0.67 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (0.67 BB)

Hero: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___????
Seat 6: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: 3/6- Made KK on 6th In a Tiny Pot

My personal opinion jeff, if you're a regular at these stud limits and have never seen this guy be4, i'd say go ahead and call him down. After all, he HAS shown weakness throughout the streets until 6th and could just be betting on just about anything. the reason for you to pay him off is to GAIN information about his starting hand requirments and style of play. Trust me, i've made calls at the end of hands where my board can't even beat his but if i can get a little peak into his starting hand requirments / playing style, it's totaly worth the amount of money i put in for it. In the end, once u pin a guy down on how he plays, you'll have the uppper hand advantage when playing against him.....
Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 AM

IMO, villain has either one of two holdings in this situation...he's either slow-playing a monster like rolled-up As (or at least As over) or he is taking a stab at the pot with some middling pair.

Given the miniscule pot at this point, I would probably just let him have it and fold. If you really feel like continuing though, I think raising his bet on 6th is a better play than just calling him down. If he really has a monster hand, he will almost certainly re-raise you and you can fold with a clear conscience. If he was just trying to steal the pot with a small pair (or with air), he will either fold or call, and since he will have the lead on the river you will be in position to make the correct play based on whether your hand improves further.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Just fold. You are not giving up much by folding. This situationc omes up so rarely.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM

I'd say villain's likely hands include a spade or straight draw and a nine or a six in the hole. I don't think he is slowplaying because on fifth you could have a straight draw or the unlikely club flush draw.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Villain limps with an A up on 3rd, catches one his best cards, and checks into a trashy board? Unless this guy is incredibly cautious and/or clueless, he is betting 4th whenever he has nothing, which is why I usually suspect a slow-play in these situations.

I would just release my hand once he bets. Raising is by far your worst play since the pot is tiny and the benefit of getting him to fold a few outs is and not worth the risk of running into a better hand. There is some chance he calls with a worse hand, but I doubt it when your hand is this obvious.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
which is why I usually suspect a slow-play in these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]Do you mean slow played AA, or something stronger (as in AAA, AJA, or JJA?)
Old 08-16-2007, 05:54 PM

Well, I called him down, more for information than anything. I'll admit it; I just wanted to know if he would play aces this way. Turns out he would because that's exactly what he had. Fortunately I made Kings up on the river and got a value bet in in addition to the information. He now has a note. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I really don't get why anyone would play aces like this, but I see it all the time at this level [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Half my notes are on whether someone will limp/call and check with aces (or kings).
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 PM

This smells like a slow-play. I would try to disappoint the guy.