Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Forum Project Step 2-3

For anyone installing Joomla, I found this site very helpful:

http://www.battractive.com/Joomla/Jo...tall-small.pdf
Old 11-06-2006, 02:48 AM

Ok, so I'm jumping on the Joomla bandwagon for my site. I'm a noob to making a site(this will be my 1st). I have done some research on some web hosting forums and came out of it knowing more about reputable hosting companies, but still equally confused. There's still so many options, and to a noob, it's daunting.

So, for a site that's going to use Joomla, what are my best options for hosting...

HostGator.com
LunarPages.com
HostRocket.com
DoesItReallyMatterForThisProject.com

Any other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM

I just signed up with Hostgator. HostGator has Fantastico which will install Joomla automagically.

The others may too though.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM

as discussed in other threads, please read up on issues with Fantastico before using it to install CMS software on your web host. Some issues to watch out for are security holes and difficulties when it comes to upgrading the software in the future.

in order to get this info, i'd just google some relevant search terms or go straight to the CMS software's forum and search there.

cheers
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM

What are the disadvantages to using .net domains? The domain I'd like to use is already registered as a .com, but it's just a squatter page full of ads. Is it safer to pick something else and stick with .com?
Old 11-06-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are the disadvantages to using .net domains? The domain I'd like to use is already registered as a .com, but it's just a squatter page full of ads. Is it safer to pick something else and stick with .com?

[/ QUOTE ]

The main disadvantage is that people are used to typing .com at the end of a web address.

Whenever I have bought a domain I always buy the .com and .net. You never know if your site will be a hit. If it is a hit and someone buys the .net or .com version of your address they may leech off of your popularity. Plus, if they start a spamming campaign via email, forum or other methods it can hurt your image.

It is inexpensive to buy both the .com and .net versions of your address.

On a separate note, if your address is widget.com don't forget to buy widgets.com as well. This is for the same reasons as above.

When I buy an address I check the availability of .com, .net and its plural version if applicable.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:18 AM

Dumb n00b question: say for instance the domain name you wanted was taken, for example stockinvesting,com, am I a scumbag if stock-investing.com is available, and I take it?

I'm not sure how important the hyphen is to users, but one of the domain names I want is taken, but the hyphenated name is available, thoughts?

Trot
Old 11-07-2006, 08:53 AM

I wouldn't use a dash in the domain name.
It makes your name less memorable.
Some people will miss it out when they type in your address or they might type an underscore by mistake.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 AM

If you can get them there via search engine, make it easy for them to bookmark your site so they can't forget the hyphen.

I went with the hyphenated domain name. I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM

I went with a hyphenated name as well. I was planning on taking moneyaftercollege, but someone took it 2 days ago and threw up a spammy link site. So i took money-after-college instead. It makes it a little more readable anyways i guess.