Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Sixes\' Fitness Log

I've been posting my questions, plans, goals, and supplements in other threads, so I thought I would condense it all into one. There are getting to be so many of these that I don't know if anyone will find it interesting, but it may help me to have some accountability.

Background: I'm 34, divorced and have 1/2 custody of my daughter. I've been a poker pro for the last two yeas, I have also started a screen printing business, and work at a golf course three days a week so the State can take my money for child support.

My dad is 64 and the longest-living male in my family. He has already had quadruple bypass, lymphoma, a pacemaker installed, and a stent as follow up to the bypass. I was very athletic for the first 20 years of my life, but my appetite continued despite the drop-off in physical activity.

On February 26, when I began all of this I weighed 250 (I'm 6'1").

Diet: I'm working very hard to not call this a diet. I've had two or three 50+ pound losses over the last 8 years that I just regained, so I am making a conscious choice to make this a lifestyle change. My really bad habit is Dr. Pepper, and I haven't had one in over three weeks. I am mostly about convenience, so I have been having 6 small meals throughout the day: either a protein bar, a frozen dinner (South Beach Diet or Healthy Choice), or Muscle Milk shake. I'll have cereal with skim milk occasionally for breakfast. The only problem I have had sticking to this has been in social situations or when my daughter wants to go out to eat. I am trying to stay below 2000 calories, and on most days I probably don't even get 1400. I have been taking Hot Rox Exxtreme and just started taking Betagen.

Exercise: I live outside of town and belong to Gold's Gym. The one closest to me (1/2 hour away) is very small. The kettlebell thread piqued my interest and I bought one last week. I really enjoy it, and feel like I am really pushing myself when I use it. I have never had much upper-body strength but my legs have always been strong. I have done tabata kettleball swings on Monday and Wednesay this week, and feel like they are really pushing me. I will do strength exercises with the KB the other three days a week. Bruiser had a great thread in the El Diablo forum about skills you're working on. A friend of my dad's good do 5 one legged squats (pistols) at the age of 76, so my lower body workout will be geared towards building the strength to do that. I'll follow the suggestions in The Naked Warrior and this article.

My body doesn't break down uricic acid so if I get my blood chemistry out of whack it crystallizes on a joint (gout) and hurts like hell and can knock me off my feet for as long as a month. Any running at my weight triggers an attack, so I have just been going on long (2-4 mile) walks until am light enough for my joints to take more of a pounding. I have a few stressful situations going on in my life, and in the past I would just eat to cope, but now I'll just go outside and walk away the tension and it really helps.

Progress: I weigh 237 today, all of my pants are too big, and I'm on the last hole of all my belts (the skinny way, not the fat way). I am nowhere near where I want to be, but I do feel better and have more confidence . . . which is really what this is all about for me.

There's a water park near my house and I want to be able to take my daughter there this summer and not be embarassed to take my shirt off.

Here's my before picture:

Old 03-22-2007, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Sixes\' Fitness Log

Good for you, will follow the thread! You were one of the 1st posters to help me in stt's years ago on 2+2.

Good luck sixes!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Muscle Milk shake....I am trying to stay below 2000 calories, and on most days I probably don't even get 1400. I have been taking Hot Rox Exxtreme and just started taking Betagen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Muscle Milk? It's a weight gainer and loaded with carbs and calories. Why not switch to a more diet friendly shake?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Muscle Milk shake....I am trying to stay below 2000 calories, and on most days I probably don't even get 1400. I have been taking Hot Rox Exxtreme and just started taking Betagen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why Muscle Milk? It's a weight gainer and loaded with carbs and calories. Why not switch to a more diet friendly shake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I'm taking Muscle Milk Light. 195 calories per serving.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:19 AM

3/23/2007

Weight: 235 (-15 lbs.)
Body Fat: 32.1% (75 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:

Throughout the day GTG with ab wheel (I really suck at that thing).
5 minutes of Turkish Get-ups (I'm still very awkward with the transition coming back down, so I used a 15 lb. dumbbell rather than my kettlebell.)

Kettlebell Cycle (5X through)
5X Squats
5X Cleans
5X One-legged step ups.

At the end my legs were very wobbly. The definition in my legs already is amazing. I wear boxer briefs that used to be skin tight on my legs, and now they fit like normal boxers. My body analyzer thing says that I am properly hydrated, but I am getting killer cramps in my calves so I'll drink more water and take some potassium.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wear boxer briefs that used to be skin tight on my legs

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the visual. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Problem #1

I did my planned 4-minute Tabata workout using Figure 8 kettlebell exercises this morning. It kicked my butt, but now I feel like I need to do something more.

I get fairly obsessed with working out when I do it, and I don't want to get burned out, but I also like the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day, and I just feel like I should do something more today.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Problem #1

Good to see you here SS, I always liked your STT posts. Sad to say you might be sick in the head if you still want to train after a tabata. That or I'm just a huge bitch, so I'll believe the former.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 AM

3/24/2007

Weight: 234 (-16 lbs.)
Body Fat: 31.8% (74 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:

Did the aforementioned Tabata figure 8 workout and continued to do ab exercises throughout the day. I used to have to suck in my gut to get my pants buttoned, now I just hop a little bit and they fall to the floor. I need to buy new pants, but I think I'll just buy a smaller belt for now and wait another ten pounds before shopping for more.

I read that in order for a man's abs to be visible he needs to be below 11-10% bodyfat. That would put me at 175. I imagine I am going to add muscle in the next few months as well, so I am shooting for 185 which is just 10 pounds under what I weighed when I played football and think is very attainable.

Here is my testimonial for Betagen: This is the second day after my first hard leg workout in years. My legs aren't the least bit sore.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM

3/25/2007

Weight: 235 (-15 lbs.)
Body Fat: 32% (74 lbs.)

Yesterday's Workout:

Did a kettlebell circuit X5 consisting of:

Chest Press RL X5
Military Press RL X5
Tricep Kick-Backs RL X5
Upright Rows X5

Then bicep curls 3 X12

I feel pretty worn out, so I'm looking forward to a day off. If anything, I may just go for a long slow elliptical workout.

I discovered Sugar Free Red Bull yesterday. I can't stand the regular stuff, but this was pretty good.