Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Facts about your job that most people don\'t know. . .

Yea, I've wondered how/why my signature isn't required at some places. Also, why do some establishments take an "imprint" of the card even after swiping?

What happens if the signature used is completely different from the cardholder's?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:23 AM

Good thread. I feel like I've learned some pretty useful things. As far as the signature on credit cards is concerned. ..

Somebody pick-pocketed me in Rome and charged my card $900. I disputed the charge but they said there was nothing they could do because the signature was similar to the mine. I have a crappy signature and I'm sure the people just scribbled something and thats good enough.

If I had a recognizable signature, I got the impression the charge would have been reversed. In the end, I didn't pay and my credit is ruined for the near future.

My contribution to this thread:

I worked at a soil enginering firm in CA. We tested foundations for buildings and strength of concrete. With no experience, never having taking a geology class I was put in charge of the lab during my second summer working there. I feel like I'm a decently smart person and pick things up fast but I was in charge of multi-billion dollar building foundations... at 17. The more I think about it the more nuts it really was.

If a test got messed up (a lot did, my friend who was also 18 also worked there) I had to make educated guesses about moisture-densities because we didn't want to send the techs back into the field for another sample. I was in charge of telling the engineers what lime/concrete mixture they should put in the soil. And we did some pretty big projects too...the biggest of which is a 31 story condiminim that is still being built and I hope doesn't fall down. Also, a big oil company is putting in 20 or so big tanks. Construction hasn't started yet and feel like if they sunk and went boom it wouldn't be my fault.

The point is of all this is- Geotechnical firms are pretty worthless. Although I think I found myself in a unique situation, at 17 I was in charge of some pretty serious [censored]. If stuff starts sinking somewhere in Cali..you can blame me.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Somebody pick-pocketed me in Rome and charged my card $900. I disputed the charge but they said there was nothing they could do because the signature was similar to the mine. I have a crappy signature and I'm sure the people just scribbled something and thats good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

What credit card company was this? My signature is also crappy and I would hate to have this happen to me.