Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Existence

It's 11:30 AM and as usual, I find myself pondering my existence, as well as the existence of the universe, etc. I find myself doing this far too often and it frequently depresses me. Luckily I have two beautiful girls that I get to enjoy watching (and helping) grow up. It isn't the meaning of life I'm looking for, but why do we exist? Either we were created by a higher being or we evolved out of nothing. (I'm agnostic at best) Both are mind-numbing when trying to really comprehend. Either infinite existence, or nothing. My thoughts on the subject are more frequent in the last few years as I've lost my grandfather to cancer(more like my father) and many wonderful pets that I've been close to (to cancer and FIP). This morning I'm taking another cat to the vet for surgery to remove a tumor. He'll be lucky to survive the surgery. All just adds to my pondering. Not really sure what I'm even looking for here...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Existence

Despite your cryptic wording, I know what you are saying. I have not thought in these terms for a long while. It seems now I am more in tune with the individual trees, you are pondering a forest. I determined that whatever providence may or may not exist has not given us enough information to solve this eternal riddle. If it is making you depressed you should step back and ask what effect solving such a problem would have on your life. Do you even know what that would be like, what terms the answer would come in?

I don't, and honestly alot of the fun of living and doing would be taken away

Plato has taught many that true wisdom lies in knowing what to do with your ignorance

That is exactly your issue

Cam
Old 05-09-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Luckily I have two beautiful girls that I get to enjoy watching (and helping) grow up. It isn't the meaning of life I'm looking for, but why do we exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason you exist is to pass on your genes and ensure your offspring survive to do likewise (and hence further procreate your genetic make up). So what you have may not be the meaning you are hoping to find but it is the only one!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:39 PM

Take two and call me in the morning.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Take two and call me in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting synchronicity. Since frequenting a few SMP/Religion boards Ive been wondering if it isnt time to return to those lucid states I often found myslef in during the 60s/70s and see if age changes any of the insights I had.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's 11:30 AM and as usual, I find myself pondering my existence, as well as the existence of the universe, etc. I find myself doing this far too often and it frequently depresses me. Luckily I have two beautiful girls that I get to enjoy watching (and helping) grow up. It isn't the meaning of life I'm looking for, but why do we exist? Either we were created by a higher being or we evolved out of nothing. (I'm agnostic at best) Both are mind-numbing when trying to really comprehend. Either infinite existence, or nothing. My thoughts on the subject are more frequent in the last few years as I've lost my grandfather to cancer(more like my father) and many wonderful pets that I've been close to (to cancer and FIP). This morning I'm taking another cat to the vet for surgery to remove a tumor. He'll be lucky to survive the surgery. All just adds to my pondering. Not really sure what I'm even looking for here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not clear whether you are thinking about "meanings" for existence, or whether we actually exist or its just an illusion/part of some higher order beings imagination etc.

On the first, I dont think there is any meaning. We are animals that have the same goal as any other life form..perpetuation of the species.

On the second, it doesnt matter. Either we do exist and go on living like we do with intent and the appearance of free will, or we dont and will behave in whatever fashion the illusion carries us, but with the appearance of existence.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM

My view is that it doesnt matter if we are random occurrences of nature, part of some "divine plan" worked out completely in advance or somewhere in between. I think our lives have inherent meaning because we make ethical decisions - this is something only a being with consciousness can do and it is good for its own sake.

You are bringing up two girls - to me the fact they have your genes doesnt make the act of bringing them up mean anything. What makes it mean something special (in my view) is the fact that you are making choices, loving them, guiding them and helping them grow into better people - that is something worthwhile and special regardless of if you are on the way to eternal life or if you only live for a brief few years.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:03 PM

Try researching 'Spirital Realms', you may find the answers you're looking for.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 PM

There is no meaning to life; it is meaningless. This does not detract from it's wonder.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:25 PM

The answer to the meaning of life is - Life is what you make it.

No one is going to tell you the answer, though lots of people like to try and tell you the answer. That's their answer, not yours.