Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > Stoxpoker.com
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Bryce is \"In the Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
Dunno if this well is still alive, but could you say a bit on what range you should raise with vs the one that you just check behind in HU LHE, when playing with a SB that completes a lot ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing against a limper is actually a very large and somewhat complex subject. Some basic advice: the more likely the limper is to play fit or fold post-flop the larger a range you should raise (technically, against a guy who plays true fit or fold with a weak range you could raise any two here, but if you feel like you can't just raise any two indefinitely you may as well lean towards somewhat stronger holdings). When players become more resilient post-flop or start to limper a stronger range of hands you're less inclined to raise. Against players who continuation bet 100% after limping you're also less inclined to raise, since you can then just check-raise flops that you want to try and win UI (getting the same amount of money in the pot that you would by raising and betting). Against intelligent players who do bet the flop a lot after limping you may find it a good idea to mix things up and do a bit of both so that it's harder for them to get a lot of information on how aggressive you're actually being.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dunno if this well is still alive, but could you say a bit on what range you should raise with vs the one that you just check behind in HU LHE, when playing with a SB that completes a lot ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing against a limper is actually a very large and somewhat complex subject. Some basic advice: the more likely the limper is to play fit or fold post-flop the larger a range you should raise (technically, against a guy who plays true fit or fold with a weak range you could raise any two here, but if you feel like you can't just raise any two indefinitely you may as well lean towards somewhat stronger holdings). When players become more resilient post-flop or start to limper a stronger range of hands you're less inclined to raise. Against players who continuation bet 100% after limping you're also less inclined to raise, since you can then just check-raise flops that you want to try and win UI (getting the same amount of money in the pot that you would by raising and betting). Against intelligent players who do bet the flop a lot after limping you may find it a good idea to mix things up and do a bit of both so that it's harder for them to get a lot of information on how aggressive you're actually being.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx Bryce [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Bryce,

I play on a site that I (and other players) suspect has a lot of heads up bots at the 30/60 - 50/100 limits. I've been having conversations with about 3 other players at the site, and we're trying to develop an optimum counter strategy to the bots.

Their playing style seems pretty exploitable to me (generally wildly agro pf, and loose passive/showdown bound postflop), and we've been doing fairly well against the bots, but I'm still surprised at how tough the bots seem to be. They bluff with a frequency that makes them tough and they do mix up their play a fair amount. I still find playing most human opponents (not regular winners) much easier than these bots.

I'm used to playing off my human's opponent's emotional state. When I first started playing the bots (before I knew they were bots) I would get extremely tilted because of their unconventional style and also, strangely, their complete LACK of tilt (which is almost always present when playing a human).

Do you have much experience playing vs. someone you know is a bot? What do you know about the world of hu limit botting? Do you feel equally comfortable playing vs. a bot (that is exploitable) as you do vs. a human player?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM

I played against most of the FT bots back when they were around. For the 30/60 level or so they were fairly tough, but I was generally pretty happy to get their action. In retrospect you would need a fairly decent understanding of HU fundamentals to beat the bots, but their game was far from complete.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:43 PM

In a recent blog, Mike Schneider mentions that Hoss is "as good as anyone" at using momentum in a 2-3 handed game. I thought Hoss' actions were primarily dictated by game theory and therefore his actions on a particular hand would not change if it came up during a bad run or bad run of cards.

Thoughts on who is right?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 PM

Hello Bryce!

Im going to make a full-time limit plan for 2008. This far of my career (2.5 years) I have been mostly spending my time at the tables. Under the coming year I feel like I may work more with the teoretical stuff aswell to improve. What do you think is a good % mix between playing and studying for a serious players such as myself.
Im thinking something along the lines of planning:
playing
get a good pokercoach
using traingvideos
messeageboards such as 2p2
reading books
other ways to improve?

I looked at your video at stox were you showed some of your play from 2005. it was very nice to see what an enormous progress you have made in only two years time. Whats the most important thing u think u did under that time to acchive such a sucsess? Was it working day and night, having a special talent or finding some special stuff that allowed u to get that much better. My goal is to improve as much as possible under 2008 and are now planning in what areas I should focus the most effort in to get the best progress. Currently Im mainly playing 5/10 and some 10/20.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:56 AM

If your play is at a more intermediate level you might consider putting things like message board discussion and books on the backburner. One self-improvement tool that you may find very handy would be to record and watch something like 10 minutes of your play daily. You'll find a lot of mistakes or potential mistakes you wouldn't have otherwise and will get some better perspective on where your game is at.

How much work you do away from the table depends on personal taste more than anything, but it's important that you do spend some time building tools and skillsets that are going to help you build your game in a quick and effective manner, be that video review, mathematical analysis, etc.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 AM

Hey Bryce thanks for jumping in the well. Just a quick question. What software do you use to record your play?

Cheers.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 AM

Camtasia.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:03 AM

wrong thread for this type of post.