Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 AM

Default A ridiculous rule? (on late entry chip stacks)

Daniel Negreanu seems justifyably bothered about this.

What do you think?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: A ridiculous rule? (on late entry chip stacks)

can't you summarize it in words for those of us who don't have the time or ability to watch this entire video?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 AM

From Pokernews...

[ QUOTE ]
To put it bluntly – many of the players aren’t happy. Without writing a novel, we’ll try to explain it as best as we can. The controversy that spurred the 10 minute break is as follows. Berry Johnston bought in late to this event, and as he was seated, he was given a stack of 9,000 chips. Some of the players that showed up late were blinded off, and showed up to stacks less than 9,000.

Several players at Berry’s table (most notably Steve Z) refused to keep playing until the issue was resolved. The tournament directors ordered players to complete the hand they were on, and take a 10 minute break, while tournament directors could make a decision.

Tournament director Jimmy Sommerfeld came back quoting TDA rule # 81, which states that if a player registers late, he is penalized a one time chip penalty of up to three rounds of blinds and antes. The decision was made that Berry should be assessed three rounds of blinds and antes, which is 1,800 chips.

Many of the players who pre bought in, but showed up late to their stacks started with significantly less than that. This reportedly includes Amir Vahedi, who was subsequently eliminated from the tournament. This is going to continue to develop, and we will keep you updated on all related issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Rule 81 of the TDA rules is actually quite clear. A player who registers late will receive a penalty of up to three rounds. According to tournament director Jimmy Sommerfeld, any player who's stack is reduced more that that can appeal BEFORE he is dealt a hand. I can't find that part in the rule sheet I have, but I do not have all the rules in front of me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-05-2007, 06:36 AM

Daniel shows up late to a rebuy event with ~7k in his stack. Another guy shows up late after they've picked up his stack (something DN told them not to do) and they give him 9k siting the rule that any player that shows up late can only lose 3 rounds of blinds max.

Cody
Old 07-05-2007, 06:43 AM

Rule 81 sets up an obvious angle shoot.

Just register at the last minute and lose only 3 rounds of blinds instead of the much larger amount you'd lose being blinded off from the start of the tourny.

The rule should be repealed.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Or, you can just show up on time. WTF is up with so many people coming so late?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can show up on time and not get to the registration window for an hour or more...
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM

wtf is the problem, if you sign up the day before, then its on you to be on time.

If I am signing up late, then I know that I am going to start with this penalty, I have no chance to have a full stsck.

Everyone else had a fair chance to start with a full stack, just get your ass there on time.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is the problem, if you sign up the day before, then its on you to be on time.

If I am signing up late, then I know that I am going to start with this penalty, I have no chance to have a full stsck.

Everyone else had a fair chance to start with a full stack, just get your ass there on time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think you get the problem.
Player A registers early and arrives an hour late.
Player B registers an hour late.
Player C registers an hour and 10 minutes late.

Players A and B get stacks that have been blinded down.
Player C gets a bigger stack. At first, a much bigger stack, then, when the "rule" is fully consulted, a bit smaller stack, but still bigger than A or B.

Player B, by the above "rule" should have been given the stack Player C ended up with. But TD says "Sorry, you didn't complain".

Several problems.
1. The rule. If they are only going to take out three rounds of blinds, no late sign ups after the third orbit.
2. Rule applied unevenly. Even a stupid rule should be applied consistently.

Players accept the fact that if you show up late, your stack will be blinded down. They just object to a rule that gives some players who also show up late an advantage.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Daniel of all people, after what happened at the Shootout last year. If you're not there to protect your chips, something unexpected might happen to them.