Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Road trip from Seattle to Las Vegas - best route?

I'm heading out to Vegas in early June and would like to know the best route. Mapquest suggests a strange route of going through Idaho and Salt Lake City. I'm leaning toward taking I-5 to Bakersfield, then the I-15 to LV. Another option is going to Reno, then hitting the US-95 down to LV, but that one seems a bit dangerous, I can't conclude if that road is a two-laner(one way lane each way) for about 400 miles or so..
Old 05-12-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Road trip from Seattle to Las Vegas - best route?

I recommend flying. As a bonus, when you fly, there's a chance you go right over Mt. St. Helens.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:40 PM

I'd consider flying but I think my arms would get a wee bit tired once I hit portland..
Old 05-12-2007, 03:54 PM

well mapquest says that route cause its overall the fastest way there. but idaho and utah are nice states to drive thru. i took that drive on I-15 from SLC to vegas.

if you want a more scenic route, you can take the same thing to idaho, then get off at US-93 at twin falls, and take it down to vegas. if you dont mind 2 lanes anyway. it takes about an hour longer, but saves 90 miles.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:56 PM

The I-5 route from Redding to LV is one of the most boring drives imaginable.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:10 PM

- Mapquest and mapsonus both suggest the same route. 1265ish miles, 18:10 duration.
- Mapsonus lets you pick shortest route, and that one goes through Reno and cuts the trip to 1082 miles, but the computed duration is 21:20.
- Maps.yahoo.com suggests a route through Boise and then straight down the east side of NV on US93 at 1181 miles, 17:30.
- Rand McNally sends you through Reno for 1130 miles and 19:05.
- Mappoint.msn.com likes going through SLC, also at 1265 and 18:10, but if you ask for shortest path it'll also send you through Reno and claims 21:20 duration.
- And good ol' Google suggests the route through Boise to Twin Falls, then straight south for 1139 miles and 18:16 duration (at bit more pessimistic than Yahoo).

All think the shortest route through Reno will take the longest. They seem to be unsure between them whether the longest route through SLC will be quickest, or if the journey through Twin Falls to US93 is quicker. Now if you're on a green kick and want to save gas, driving slower for longer over a shorter distance is good.

I've only done US95 as far as Beatty. It is two-lanes once you get a ways outside Vegas, past about Amargosa Valley. Almost everyone I know who's driven to Reno from Vegas says they'll fly next time.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:22 PM

interesting stuff bav.. Im guessing the one through CA takes longer because of the traffic.. I had a friend that took the utah route. He says Utah takes forever to go through lol

ehhh.. maybe flying is the best option.. I'm not much of a fan of flying, just wanted to see if the ol cross country trip was worth it
Old 05-12-2007, 04:35 PM

I'd do the WA - Boise - SLC to LV route. I've done most of that the other way and it isn't bad. I've also done the I5 from LA up and it's pretty boring but straight. Make sure to plan the time of day you leave so you get the best time for the long hauls - when the vacationers are off the road.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 PM

That's the thing about I-5 - you need to plan the times you go through places like Sacratomato, unless you like stop-n-go bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:10 PM

Have fun, I just pulled a 22 hour Edmonton-LV marathon driving session with two buddies last week, down I-15 the whole way. The trip down is fun and goes by quickly, but the drive back is painful.