Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: I\'m new to...

The library will also have some poker books these days. You don't want to take too big of a chunk out of that bankroll!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 PM

I wonder what this thread would look like if the OP were named 'writerboy'. (Good luck OP, please post a trip report with pics!)
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you all for all your input. I'm heading over to Barnes & Noble to pick up the recommended books. I won't play until I'm done reading.

Thx

[/ QUOTE ]

If your in LV already, visit the Gambler's Book Club or the Gambler's General Store when you buy your books, its best to support their businesses, because they both greatly support the poker community.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mostly play live, and I can tell you that if you can win at low online limits, you will absolutely crush most B&M games all the way to 5-10NL.

Read SSHE and learn from the included starting hands table. One thorough read, and some discipline, will give you enough on an edge for those soft live games.

[/ QUOTE ]

True enough, but the OP needs to know that SSHE is a Limit HE book...and the next book you should read after getting through with the Limit section of GSHE and playing for a little bit.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder what this thread would look like if the OP were named 'writerboy'. (Good luck OP, please post a trip report with pics!)

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were posted in BBV, there would probably be at least one 'YSSCKY' in here somewhere.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were posted in BBV, there would probably be at least one 'YSSCKY' in here somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this were posted in OOT, they would be several requests for NSFW pics.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this were posted in OOT, BBV4L, NVG, LOL, etc., they would be several requests for NSFW pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 PM

One thing that I haven't seen in this thread is that aggression wins. It is super important to play aggressively. It is even more important to know when to target that aggression but that comes with experience.

I will give a couple of examples.

1) I was playing $5/$10 limit hold'em on-line and I was in a small blind vs big blind hand and I thought I had bottom pair (turned out I misread a 6 for a 5 and I had nothing) and I was facing a raise on the flop. With my time limit nearly expired I just hit the "raise" button because sometimes when I really don't have a clue I just raise. The other guy folded almost instantaneously.

2) I am playing in a NL tournament on-line and I'm doing slightly above average with 30,000 in chips and I want to bet 1,111 which was the pot size more or less and because it is easier for me to just hit the same key 4 times. My keyboard sticks and when I hit "Bet" I look with horror at my bet of 11,111... I'm sitting there screaming at the the other players (they can't hear me) to FOLD FOLD FOLD!!! Which they did. This happened to me twice in that same tourney (in which I incidentally won a seat to the semi-finals).

I mention this because - if you are truly a girl - the women I have played against live are typically not very aggressive. It makes them much easier to predict and beat.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I was playing $5/$10 limit hold'em on-line and I was in a small blind vs big blind hand and I thought I had bottom pair (turned out I misread a 6 for a 5 and I had nothing) and I was facing a raise on the flop. With my time limit nearly expired I just hit the "raise" button because sometimes when I really don't have a clue I just raise. The other guy folded almost instantaneously.[ QUOTE ]

Where are all the "bad advice" know-it-alls now?
Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 AM

Luxor is full of unexperienced players, but I heard the MGM poker room is quite good too (at least better looking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). Never been there though, but maybe someone else can confirm the rumors I heard.