Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: my next ten

I'll put up my list although I will admit I haven't seen a lot of this centuries movies (yet). As more of a movie watcher than a film buff my list is a little different.

10. Bad Santa
9. The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
8. Walk The Line
7. 25th Hour
6. 61*
5. Almost Famous
4. Million Dollar Baby
3. Mystic River
2. Seabisquit
1. United 93

I have been scouring my ondemand and cable search functions to try and find a lot of the movies others have listed and hope to be watching them soon. City of God and Sex and Lucia will hit my DVR sometime this week and I plan to start looking for a lot of the other stuff I haven't seen yet.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 AM

I have to admit, 25th Hour was one I thought long and hard about including. Terrific film.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:35 AM

Rick,

I did love 2046, but it still disappointed me at the same time. Of course, I was comparing it to In the Mood for Love.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick,

I did love 2046, but it still disappointed me at the same time. Of course, I was comparing it to In the Mood for Love.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I watched Before Sunrise Monday night and it looks like I won't be getting Before Sunset (which I'm really looking forward to based on the thread) until Thursday. In a nutshell I thought Before Sunset felt/seemed very fresh and real and am really looking forward to Before Sunset.

~ Rick
Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been scouring my ondemand and cable search functions to try and find a lot of the movies others have listed and hope to be watching them soon. City of God and Sex and Lucia will hit my DVR sometime this week and I plan to start looking for a lot of the other stuff I haven't seen yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have cable but from looking at other's services it seems "On Demand" or regular offerings don't give you much of a chance at the less mainstream movies. Netflix is only $17 a month for three movies at a time along with seventeen hours of streaming right to your computer (good for documentary's and TV shows if you have a decent monitor and chair).

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Netflix.

~ Rick
Old 08-29-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"On Demand" or regular offerings don't give you much of a chance at the less mainstream movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. On Demand (the free stuff) has tons of choices and when you couple that with the 30+ movie channels I have there are tons of choices. I almost never rent anything. In fact other than a couple of specific (DVD club) titles I haven't rented anything in years. I realize netflick type services really appeal to many but they would be lost on me as I would never use it.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"On Demand" or regular offerings don't give you much of a chance at the less mainstream movies

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true at all. On Demand (the free stuff) has tons of choices and when you couple that with the 30+ movie channels I have there are tons of choices. I almost never rent anything. In fact other than a couple of specific (DVD club) titles I haven't rented anything in years. I realize netflick type services really appeal to many but they would be lost on me as I would never use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno...my experience with on demand is pretty limited, but i get the impression that there's not much real selection there, at least not as much as netflix or even the dvds in my living room

seems like if i wanted to watch, say, some Ozu, it could take forever for cable to help me out.

but, i guess if you're only looking for the type of thing that's grossed more than $20M domestically, you'll be fine

edit: didn't Dom say "The Best of Youth" hasn't hit on demand yet? and that's been widely available on dvd for over a year
Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my experience with on demand is pretty limited, but i get the impression that there's not much real selection there

[/ QUOTE ]

On Demand (the pay sections) really sucks. All it really has are bigger budget current releases. I have never used it. The free part has probably 300-400 movies of various age and public popularity. The premium channel part gives you most of the stuff airing that month on that channel (I have HBO, Showtime, Stars and Encore). But I also have a lot of non on-demand choices. Especially since I learned how to use the search function [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I get over 30 movie channels with a few specializing in obscurities and classics and by using that I can DVR a lot of great choices. I went down Doms top ten list and found City of God and Sex and Lucia airing this week so I DVRed them. I plan to go through the rest of this thread and search for the other movies listed here that I haven't seen yet and I'm sure I will find plenty of them.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:44 PM

City of God and Sex and Lucia aren't obscure at all. every blockbuster in the world has them, most in the featured section

City of God had 4 Oscar noms and Sex and Lucia i must have seen on the walls of Blockbuster (where they put the new stuff) 100 times before i actually watched it, and i don't even like going to Blockbuster

point being, i'd be shocked if they weren't airing this week somewhere
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll put up my list although I will admit I haven't seen a lot of this centuries movies (yet). As more of a movie watcher than a film buff my list is a little different.

10. Bad Santa
9. The Life and Death of Peter Sellers
8. Walk The Line
7. 25th Hour
6. 61*
5. Almost Famous
4. Million Dollar Baby
3. Mystic River
2. Seabisquit
1. United 93

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice list. Bad Santa was hilarious, and Seabiscuit and Walk The Line are two movies I forgot all about. That also reminds me about Ray, which is another good film that nobody has brought up.