Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Vaccination tyranny continued.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Nate, should I be free to fill my front yard with raw sewage?

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]
Vaccinations, just like public sewage, are a public health issue with possibly large negative externalities. Thus it would fall under the umbrella of public policy. Vaccinations would be "mandatory" because of the effect of certain illnesses/disease on the other kids/society.

Under this logic, it would be hard to make the jump into other mandated medical procedures, since vaccinations fall into their own category.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]
Vaccinations, just like public sewage, are a public health issue with possibly large negative externalities. Thus it would fall under the umbrella of public policy. Vaccinations would be "mandatory" because of the effect of certain illnesses/disease on the other kids/society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raw sewage is something that can negatively affect anyone who somehow comes into contact with it, and you can't build up an immunity against it (I think? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) or be vaccinated against it. So there is some relevant difference between exposure to raw sewage, and exposure to certain bacteria or viruses which can be immunized against.

Someone already immunized against a virus usaually need not fear further exposure to that virus, so kids already immunized (by their parents' choice) need not fear coming into contact with non-immunized children, or with carriers.

I think there is also a big difference beteen immunization against truly dread diseases, and immunization against lesser diseases like chicken pox, or typical flus.

I can sort of see forcing people to be immunized against a serious outbreak of something like the Black Death, the ravages of which killed a third of Europe's population in the 12th century; but I don't think chicken pox falls into such a category, nor do I think that forced immunizations for chicken pox are morally justified on grounds of safety to the public health. The threat to the public health from chicken pox is far from dire and pandemic.

[ QUOTE ]
Under this logic, it would be hard to make the jump into other mandated medical procedures, since vaccinations fall into their own category.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vaccinations do fall into their own category in some respects - but government, once given powers, seldom relinquishes powers or scopes, and usually expands them. So I think fear of slippery slopes is generally well-founded in such matters.

I say, save coercion for only the most dire and catastrophic of scenarios, where non-immunization poses a grave risk to everyone. If a terrible strain of Ebola were somehow to be introduced in this country in fast-spreading and extremely contagious form, and quarantine was insufficient, that might be such a scenario.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:52 PM

In my small grade school class, a nurse came in and administered vaccinations and one of the kids, out of about 60, suffered anaphylactic shock. The nurse only stood around and watched. Fortunately the kid recovered after a few minutes rather then died.

Here, in Idaho, we have all sorts of places that give free flu shots. Albertson’s store for example. Every Alberston’s around here has a doc-in-the box attached to it where a nurse and medication is available - medication such as anti-histamines and epinephrine.

Now, I’m not sure if the flu vaccine in particular is capable of inducing anaphylaxis, and maybe schools now days use nurses that carry around bags of medicine, but I wouldn’t count on it. I’d rather have more control over my kids vaccinations. Once I looked into the matter, I might allow a school nurse to administer the shot, but again I might not. I certainly wouldn’t want a government official that is less qualified then a monkey off the street making my decision for me.

edit - I used the word phlebotomist incorrectly and replaced it with nurse.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my small grade school class, a phlebotomist came in and administered vaccinations and one of the kids, out of about 60, suffered anaphylactic shock. The phlebotomist only stood around and watched. Fortunately the kid recovered after a few minutes rather then died.

Here, in Idaho, we have all sorts of places that give free flu shots. Albertson’s store for example. Every Alberston’s around here has a doc-in-the box attached to it where a nurse and medication is available - medication such as anti-histamines and epinephrine.

Now, I’m not sure if the flu vaccine in particular is capable of inducing anaphylaxis, and maybe schools now days use actual nurses that carry around bags of medicine, but I wouldn’t count on it. I’d rather have more control over my kids vaccinations. Once I looked into the matter, I might allow a school nurse to administer the shot, but again I might not. I certainly wouldn’t want a government official that is less qualified then a monkey off the street making my decision for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If if they *are* qualified, they shouldn't have the right to force anything on you ( or deprive you of any treatment you wish but that's another thread).

Remember, Lysenko was qualified.

natedogg
Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?????????

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where is a threat from the guy next to you not being vaccinated? I mean if you were vaccinated there is no externality to the guy next to you not being vaccinated. This is just a case of the government wanting to tell people what is best for them rather than allowing them to make that decision.