Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Default What do I do and why? $25PLO8

Hey all,
Just some basic PLO8 situations I thought I'd ask about because I'm a newb :-)
I'm trying to figure out the "why's" of certain actions in PLO8... I have a better feel for Limit HE, but I find in PLO8 there'll often be times when I don't know how to process a decision and am not confident I am making the right choice.
All hands are without substantial reads, and I haven't got PT Omaha yet. I'm more just trying to learn what types of things I should think in situations like the ones below.
Feel free to only respond to one hand if you can't be bothered. I know this is all too-long, didn't read stuff, but it has to be as I'm trying to figure out how to think in PLO8, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
-------------

$0.10/$0.25, PLO8, Party, 7-way
Converter

Stack sizes:
hero: $21.58
UTG+1: $3.20
hero: $21.82
UTG+1: $60.61
MP1: $25
CO: $42.78
Button: $21.98
SB: $25.68
BB: $24.75

Pre-flop: (7 players) hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero?</font>

Here I felt entirely certain my hand warranted a PF raise equity-wise. Having checked later on my O8 calculator program it estimates I should win hi 20% of the time (and lo obv. 0%), which is actually a smaller edge than I suspected. The reason I didn't raise is I couldn't imagine there would be enough flops that I could two-barrel on, and I assume all those boards that I can't are getting stolen from me (plus I'm losing some of the hands I can fire away on, plus I'm only getting half of some of the pots I win). Is this a case of raise it PF if you're an experienced player but limp if you're a newb? Don't raise it preflop 7-handed or full-ring at all? If I limp and it gets raised behind me, how confidently can I reraise? (not confidently, as no low?). If it gets raised behind me and I call, when can I call/raise with my overpair (e.g. never, only on one-low card flops, etc). The reason I ask this is most of the time that's all I'll flop, and if I can't play for that I might as well not call a raise preflop, right? If I only have implied odds for the flush and set and straight, is it enough to play for what will often be half a pot?
-----------------------------------------------------

$0.10/$0.25, PLO8, Party, 9-way
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $31.74
UTG+1: $39.76
MP3: $25
hero: $21.99
SB: $7.40
BB: $24.75

Pre-flop: (9 players) hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, hero calls, SB calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.5, 6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, hero bets $0.75</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3.75, 3 players)
UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $2.25</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8.25, 2 players)
MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ?</font>

When I first started mucking around with PLO8 I overvalued two pair (having come from hold 'em) and lost a lot of pots. Now I basically will never bet two pair on the flop unless I'm on the button or think I can buy the button by betting. (It builds big pots, and I never feel comfortable calling the large bets on turn river if I don't improve, especially if the turn/river brings cards that put better two pairs out there).
Here I bet on the button to buy myself control of the hand, either by continuing to bet if I improved or by getting a free card if I didn't. Would you guys bother?
On the river I have a small full house and a weak low. My question is: because I have made this weak low, if I bet pot and get raised on the river, can I reraise? I wouldn't with just this high, and would probably say "oh no" to myself before calling, but with my weak low if I get raised I'll often be up against either a strong low or a strong high, solely, right? So, do the times I potentially scoop (e.g. I'm against only a flush or maybe even just trip As) outweigh the times I might get scopped if I get it all in on this river?
------------------

$0.10/$0.25, PLO8, Party, 10-way
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG+2: $3.10
MP3: $12.38
Button: $18.46
hero: $23
BB: $34.61

Pre-flop: (10 players) hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, hero calls, BB checks.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1.75, 7 players)
hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($1.75, 7 players)
hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 bets $0.5</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ?</font>

I flat out just don't know how to play these situations.
There's a low out, so I'm probably playing for half a pot. My opponent might be betting the low, a straight, two pair, anything...I have no idea. Their tiny bet seems to suggest something more like two pair or a low than a straight, but I don't know. If I call here, how confidently can I:
a) call a river bet if my two pair doesn't fill up
b) play my second nut flush draw?
c) play my flush draw if someone else calls (i.e., with MP3
in the hand should I discard my hearts as he might have them with the A to call but not raise on this board?)
It seems like my hand would prefer to be heads up here, making me think I could pot it. But the odds of hitting + potential implied odds of my not-so-many outs for half a pot seem to make it clear this is a bad play unless I can get everyone to fold instantly some of the time.
So I should call, right? But what cards can I call a river bet on? A heart? It's really only a 7 I'm happy with, and a T or 7 I can call comfortably with. I don't have odds+implied odds to call even the .50c bet for those outs, do I?
So I should fold, right?
(and yeah, I know this is a SB fold, but I was tilting at this point)
----------------------
Old 10-21-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Re: What do I do and why? $25PLO8

Keep in mind, that what you do on these hands has a lot to do with what level you are playing and the quality and character of opponents.

As for hand 1, I don't assume I can isolate with this hand UTG, or take down anything worthwhile with a pre-flop raise, so I limp, and if it is raised pre-flop behind me, I might re-raise if I think I can get isolated against the raiser, or I might just call. I like to vary my play with AA a lot, so that my raises are less predictable, and so I will get paid off at times when people can't believe I would have AA.

Hand 2, I think you played it correctly to the river, and I simply call on the river because my boat may not be good anymore, and my low isn't worth raising. But no way do I fold either. (This assumes I am playing with knowlegeable opponents, with crappy opponents I might raise.

Hand 3-- I probably don't complete the SB. I check the flop, and possibly call the turn because it is so cheap, but frankly fold is fine too.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:01 AM

Typically, unless all the hands are against the same player and there are meta-game concerns, you should keep one hand per thread.

If you repost this as three separate threads, you're likely to get more responses.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:11 PM

Hand 2

[ QUOTE ]

On the river I have a small full house and a weak low. My question is: because I have made this weak low, if I bet pot and get raised on the river, can I reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your low is not likely to be good.

To call your turn bet MP3 should have either a boat (AAAXX) or a nut low draw plus an ace (A24X). Considering the betting the latter is more likely. There are some players who need less to call though. Because such players exist I'd suggest to bet the river small (~ 1/3 pot) expecting to get called and scoop sometimes. I'd call a check raise fearing the worst.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:49 PM

Hand 1) I just call with high only hands. You want to trap low draws on the flop/turn if you have hit a decent high hand. But because you will miss the flop very often it is better to see the flop cheaply.

Hand 2) I will bet this hand on the river and call a potential raise. You want a fold from better low hands and you want value from trip aces or weaker full houses.

Hand 3) Fold this hand preflop. Hands I consider worth playing from the small blind are of the type wwhh and wwwx (w - wheel card, h - high card). As played fold turn and avoid a complicated situation on the river.