Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Please, Some help with \"prayers\"

OK, Loungers.

I think I have come up with something a little different for you all, although I hesitate to start this at the same time a thread is raging on about Hot Men.

Here's the deal. I work for a Catholic Organization but am not catholic or really very religious at all. It is OK, I told this organization that I wasn't catholic when I interviewed and so I am not hiding anything here.

One of the things I have to do is start a meeting with a prayer every couple of months or so. The members of the group who meet take turns. I actually tried to get out of this when it was first put in place but my boss wouldn't let me out of it.

I am OK with doing this and have found some really interesting stuff out there that was not too overtly religious like some buddhist prayers and things like that.

So, my quest for you all, is to find "prayers" that are not overtly religious.

Help, Thoughts, Questions

Amen [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Please, Some help with \"prayers\"

cool project. I will research prayers and see what i can find.

What kind of prayers are you looking for? Just inspirational ones? You looking for prayers that are very general and happy... like that talk about our fellow man and love and coming together to work as one... or prayers that ask us for inner peace and personal strength in order to cope with the horror and pitfalls of a dreary, horribly unfair, hostile world?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 AM

What is the context of the meeting?

I'm not blessed with faith, but I can lay it on pretty thick. A KT original may be in order.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM

Rub a dub dub. Thanks for the grub. Let's eat. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cool project. I will research prayers and see what i can find.

What kind of prayers are you looking for? Just inspirational ones? You looking for prayers that are very general and happy... like that talk about our fellow man and love and coming together to work as one... or prayers that ask us for inner peace and personal strength in order to cope with the horror and pitfalls of a dreary, horribly unfair, hostile world?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am not 100% sure how to answer that, it is kind of wide open. But, here is the context of the meeting if that helps any.

It is a higher level meeting. Director level and we have no vice presidents or anything so this is the highest management level of this organization.

We are a school serviing Native American kids so stuff about kids or with native american spirituality are good.

Prayers for thanks are good, thank you for the beautiful day, the things we have, stuff like that

Prayers for guidance are good.
Prayers that are happy are fine
Prayers about the the real dreary, horribly unfair, hostile world, umm.... not so much. I like to keep things on a positive note.

Basically looking for things that are unique, not overy religious (at least in a christian sense) and at least make a little bit of sense
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the context of the meeting?

I'm not blessed with faith, but I can lay it on pretty thick. A KT original may be in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my answer to context in my response to Katy. Basically a higher lever Directors meeting.

An original is fine and in many ways, if it is done right, could be really good and even preferred over "canned" stuff. I was kind of hoping for some originals from the Loungers who are far more talented at writing and using words than I am. Heck even a good original poem could work. Just has to be respectful and from the heart as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM

Heavenly Father,

We rejoice in this day You have given us. Help guide our thoughts this evening as we meet to discuss the issues at hand. Make our discussion civil, our decisions sound, and our thoughts focused on the betterment of our pupils. We ask this through Christ, our Lord, Amen.

Short, sweet, and sets the ground rules for the meeting.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heavenly Father,

We rejoice in this day You have given us. Help us guide our thoughts this evening as we meet to discuss the issues at hand. Make our discussion civil, our decisions sound, and our thoughts focused on the betterment of our pupils. We ask this through Christ, our Lord, Amen.

Short, sweet, and sets the ground rules for the meeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that, now we need to find something different for "Heavenly Father" and "We ask this through Christ, our Lord"

Getting too religious there. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Just drop it. It's Catholic, right? You have to do the blessing thing. Sub that in for the other bs.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just drop it. It's Catholic, right? You have to do the blessing thing. Sub that in for the other bs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the organization is catholic, but I am not and I do not really believe in a classic Christian definition of "god". I walk a fine line trying to be true to myself and my own beliefs, not being hypocritical and just throwing things out there that I do not believe and still giving a "prayer" that is acceptable.

Confusing at best I suppose. But, I know I do not really want to just throw "BS" out there.

I like the prayer and think I can drop those parts and maybe modify it a bit and put it in my list.

Thank You!