Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Setting up a Canadian proxy server

he's using Sygate Personal Firewall....which is also my preference. It's no longer avail tho. Comodo is okay, and Zone Alarm (paid version) will allow you to configure the rules you need.

I was running Sygate and will prolly go back to it, but I've run ZA Pro and Comodo during VPN tests and have been too lazy to uninstall Comodo and put Sygate back thus far.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:03 AM

Is there some reason why you couldn't just get a dial-up ISP in Canada, then dial up from the U.S.? How could a poker site possibly know where the call originated from? All they could know is the physical location of the modem that answers your call, or am I missing something obvious?
Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Percula,

Regarding that layering thing, I was wondering if there is a need to encapsulate the poker client so that it can't read all your hardware and OS profiles. party's especially is very aggressive in this regard, and with total access to your system, even if they see a different IP by virtue of the VPN, they could presumably determine that your machine was made in the USA, and that you had USA OS & software configurations couldn't they? Thus I am asking if there is both a need and a way to keep them from that level of access.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I worked for Stars, and pretty much every plan in this thread would fail. Just a reminder.

[/ QUOTE ]

kyleb,

Without your divulging what would be confidential knowledge as to specifics, I don't see how you can say this. There are players doing it right now wrt party, and it's working. And party has always been more anal than stars about this stuff.

Plus it should be noted that any american trying to use these means to continue playing, isn't perpetrating a fraud upon the site or the other players there. If the site takes minimal care to ip check, then I don't see how they can have legal exposure, and thus an incentive to take stronger measures, *unless* the practice become both very widespread in absoloute numbers and that was well known publicly.

So in regards to your statement, and again without divulging confidential specifics, what exactly in the list below isn't going to work:

1) showing a canadian ip via a VPN

2) hiding machine specific info which might divulge the true nationality of the user (keeping in mind the caveat posted above by someone that american pc's being used in other countries isn't that uncommon)

3) getting around ID requirements

#3 seems to be the most problematic, with #1 not being so at all. If you disagree I would be interested to hear why, and why specifically it wouldn't fly with stars when it apparently does with party.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting pretty sick of seeing all the crap going through this thread... I'm considering opening my toronto VPN server to the (paying) public for a monthly fee... i'll give it some more thought and figure it out in a few days.

the solution i'm using is just fine with a software firewall and native windows software, and I have been using it myself properly configured for over 6 months with no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin,

So your position, contrary to that of Percula, is that a software only + VPN server solution is all that is really necessary is that correct? So the following would be all you need?:

1) PC running XP/Vista as opposed to linux
2) Properly configured software firewall on same
3) VPN client software on the PC
4) The above run through a canadian VPN server like yours

Of course ID/funding issues would just be the same as with a more robust hardware based solution.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:28 AM

My intention is too sort through the 'crap' and come to a solution. In this case we are working in Germany. Canada is not an option. I had considered FindNot's VPN solution, but I am a little wary of it.

Thank you for the SWSoft Virtuozzo information. When you mention, "The easiest piece of software to use to get VPN's set up in less than 5-10 minutes" what are you referring to?

Since Fedora Core 6 supports virtualization natively, any chance that future versions of Redhat will incorporate this technology and get deployed to VPS services?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I worked for Stars, and pretty much every plan in this thread would fail. Just a reminder.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much requires some explanation, PM me if you don't want it in the public.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense to BluffTHIS or others, but I'm not going to go into detail with regard to the security procedures that Stars uses, which are the only ones I am familiar with. I left the company on good terms and would like to remain on good terms with many of the people that work there.

Even if I wanted to divulge the information (and judging by my location, I clearly don't want any of the better Americans on Party or so forth), I wouldn't do it for free. (And in fact would charge close to $1,000/hr for my services.) BiPolar_Nut claims to have a working solution and he shut down his business due to lack of demand, though I can't vouch for him.

Just realize that if you slip up or forget one thing in the chain of deception that these poker sites and third-party payment processors will be fully justified in seizing all of your money. There are a few solutions on the Internet that advocate full-on identity fraud, as well.

The tradeoff isn't worth it. Trust me when I say NETeller is light years ahead of most places when it comes to detecting foreign fakes.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My intention is too sort through the 'crap' and come to a solution. In this case we are working in Germany. Canada is not an option. I had considered FindNot's VPN solution, but I am a little wary of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

These proxies have publicly-available IP numbers for purchase for "security reasons." Reconsider.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you disagree I would be interested to hear why, and why specifically it wouldn't fly with stars when it apparently does with party.

[/ QUOTE ]

ZeeJustin was allowed to enter 12 accounts into a single tournament from one IP and one computer. Just because they're idiots at scanning the data doesn't mean they don't have the capability to do so.

Party uses DLL injection on your computer for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is hooking your keyboard and mouse.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 AM

percula,

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on using a managed VPN (not a cheap service like findnot but rather an ATT) rather than renting and building a personal server VPN? What are the downfalls? Lack of configuration? I assume nothing would change on the client end?

Also, I'm not even sure if this is possible/feasible; but is there any client software or maybe it can be done on a hardware level with a VPN firewall to direct traffic based on the process using the port? For example, lets say I want to route all traffic from PartyPoker.exe through the VPN but I want traffic from Firefox.exe to not go through the VPN? Is this possible?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DO NOT USE FINDNOT. mucho fraud on there that you will be associated with
[ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the SWSoft Virtuozzo information. When you mention, "The easiest piece of software to use to get VPN's set up in less than 5-10 minutes" what are you referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]

no comment
[ QUOTE ]

Since Fedora Core 6 supports virtualization natively, any chance that future versions of Redhat will incorporate this technology and get deployed to VPS services?

[/ QUOTE ]
pretty unlikely that it will beat out the big competitors, but it's always possible