Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Stars 5CD daily tourneys (low content)

Is anyone having any luck in these? I cashed in the first one I played but have come up dry about eight times since, in both the $11 and the $22.

I go almost completely card dead in these things for some damned reason. But every time I catch a hand -- aces-up, trips, whatever -- I get nailed by some donkey drawing to a flush or something. Just now, I caught Aces-up on the button after a couple of limpers, played it out and won a stack to get me back to 1,500. Two hands later, I catch AAA in the BB and a guy who had been raising with stuff like 88 raises pot, I reraise pot. He calls and draws one. I go all-in, he calls and shows a full house.

Man, these tourneys are just a crapshoot, really, and I keep throwing 7s.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Stars 5CD daily tourneys (low content)

I cash pretty often, got final table last night. I think Tom Bayes is probably better than me but he hasn't been doing as well.

I think you're just getting unlucky. Make sure that you note who will limp fold and who will slowpplay hands. As you know Two pair is a huge underdog to AAA, or any trips for that matter. He'll pay you off 11 of 12 times (and don't forget sometimes you'll make aces full).

I find many players play with too many unknown limeprs who are limping with aces and will call a bet.

Resteals work against tight players.

As for the luck, the same SOB who called my ALL IN with 2 pair and made his boat to my pat straight WON the ten dollar daily yesterday. WTF? How could a player who can't read me as tight call an all in with 2 pair and then win a tournament?

I watched some of that final table, and people were making trips like it was their job. IMO, if anyone of us were at that final table we would have won with or without cards. Okay that's a bit cocky, but the fact is that if you're hand is good you gotta comit chips against the right players at the right times.

I also find that I make the most chips off of people who overvalue their hands, stations, and most importantly bluffers. Okay, so I've been knocked out when I misread a bluffer but if they're willing to commit all their chips everytime they are drawing to straight whether or not they make it then be prepared to double up four times in five!

Start posting hands that aren't bad beats, laydowns that you're not sure about, etc, and I'm sure either you'll find out some holes in your play or that fate hates you.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:48 PM

...or you could virus-scan your computer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 PM

I probably shouldn't respond. I keep managing to get trips and flushes against overly aggressive players on the one occasion when they either have a hand or suck out. I feel like flafishy.

I had a bad run like this for a while at B2B last year where I felt like I forgot how to play the game. The Stars game is a bit different from the other sites, but I hope to get my mojo back, as my ego is getting bruised.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...or you could virus-scan your computer [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, Tom. I needed that. Kind of what I'm going through right now. I remember a couple or three weeks ago in another thread where a couple of people were arguing that there is no variance in 5-card draw, that good players won't go on losing skids in this game. I told them they were full of crap, and I've had some pretty hefty one- or two-day dips in the past couple of weeks to prove it.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM

-300BB draw session? been there.

why do my two pair run into pat hands, and why do my pat hands run into two pair that draw to boats?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:36 AM

Just went out in 17th in the $22, 12 spots paid. I didn't catch trips the entire tournament except once. In the second blind level, I got AAAxx and ended up all-in against a pat straight. The case A found me on the draw, and I hung around between about 8th place and 18th the rest of the tourney. Caught two big pairs a couple of times, but I caught enough uncontested big pairs throughout to keep my head above water. I went completely dead with about 22 people left, caught a steady stream of J9473 rainbows while the blinds and antes ate me alive. Went out on the BB with AA, big raise ahead of me, I called all-in. He had JJJ.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:07 PM

That sucks but it sounds like you still did well.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That sucks but it sounds like you still did well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was happy that I finished as highly as I did and gave myself a chance to cash by squeezing as much as I could out of not much of anything. It certainly gave me encouragement to keep plugging away at these things because as long as I play well like I did in this one, I'll eventually grab a big hand in a crucial spot and it'll pay off big.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:20 PM

hey guys, I have played 2 of the $20 tournies so far and made 40th and then 19th. I found myself both times be blinded down towards the later stages. I noticed some people limping from mid pos and just betting post draw and picking up big pots. Do you think this is a good strategy or just fishy play. I think I can hang as far as my draw play but I think I need a strategy for the later stages.