Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 PM

Default NL200 - A good second barrel?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($94)
MP ($73.10)
CO ($269.80)
Button ($35)
Hero ($198)
BB ($89.65)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, CO calls $8.

Flop: ($24) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, CO calls $22.

Turn: ($68) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $65</font>

Being floated isn't much of a problem at NL200, but a few guys(this villain included) does it. When to fire the second barrel is something I struggle with and something I feel needs to be done right since it's a rather expensive bet.

When your only info is that this guy needs to be faced with a second barrel from time to time, do you like this one?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: NL200 - A good second barrel?

i think its alright (is this guy going to float OOP?) but i dont think your turn bet needs to be that big unless you make all your turn bets that size. i think 50 does the same thing as 65 here.

unless he has 33 here i think your alright. i cant see him calling a raise oop w/ QT or KJ.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:36 PM

people seem to misread the action so much [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. The CO is in position so I think he could have called with a lot of those hands.

Will he check down a gutshot if he has it and whiffs? It sounds like not, so I think you can analyze checking as having 0 EV since he'll likely bet and we can't call, and won't CR AI.

So is betting +EV? Well you offer him 2:1 immediately with 2 more behind that we know you won't pay off if he calls. He, however, may think he can get up to 4:1 on a call.

Also, I assume we will shut down to further action, folding if raised, and checkfolding if called.

We are getting even money on our bet. Does he fold more than half the time? I don't know. What do you think?

I liked the idea of betting less; how tricky will he get with air if we make a small bet like 1/2 pot? How much air is still in his range after calling the flop bet?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:49 PM

I rarely make turn bets of much less than the pot, but I agree I could make it slightly smaller. Half the pot is a bit of a stretch though. That could make me look afraid of the ace and give him the idea of making a play at me. One part of his range is of course legitimate calls such as a K or Q. That's one of the reasons I liked to fire again on the ace. Another just as big part(the one where he is floating) is probably small pockets as a lot of people for some reason like limp calling with those. I'm pretty sure he folds all of those hands unless the A gave him aces up. Besides that, I am really only afraid of 33 and should get my fold more than 50% of the time. That's my reasoning anyway.