Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 06:22 PM

Default worldly question about the state of mankind

I'm curious about non-religious opinions about the state of mankind, specifically whether you think there is a goal for the human race and if you feel we are on pace to achieve that goal. I'd like to take God out of it, not because I don't believe in faith, but because I've talked about that aspect of it a million times before. What I don't want is "I live my life for God and he'll take care of everything and nothing else matters." Possibly that's a valid opinion but I've heard it before.

For example, I might say I think the goal of human beings is to do whatever they can to make the world a better place for other human beings. Or I might say that the goal of the human race is to accumulate as much wealth as possible. Or maybe it's as simple as to keep the human race going and going strong.

Why I'm asking is that I have two little kids and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to explain bad things people do to one another in a way that isn't dismissive and in thinking about this I got to thinking about other things as well. I do feel that there is a relationship between what is important to humans, what they'll do to one another to achieve those ends, and how our race will fare in the future. Of course the answer is going to be different for everyone and if that's the case, does that mean as our population increases and more and more agendas clash, that we're doomed?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: worldly question about the state of mankind

Understanding. Strength. Power.

Not necessarily in that order.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:38 PM

I think the goal of the human race is to develop a common identity and vision, so that it can maximize its long-term survival prospects.

The tricky part is the how. Some think it's best to preach tolerance and non-violence, hoping that somehow everyone will acquiesce, regardless of how oppressed they feel. Others (like me) think it's better for opposing powers to duke it out sooner rather than later so as to minimize casualties.

If your philosophy is to get people to be more tolerant, I'd advise sharing it with your kids in the hope that they will help in that struggle.

If it's to duke it out, I'd help them figure out which sides might be involved, which side they should be on, what they might do to prepare for a big war, and what to do in the meantime to avoid being bored.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 PM

I think it's all about human relationships and how we interact with each other. Personally, I think that has inherent value - if we are nice to each other the world is fundamentally a better place. This is my goal and I would at least like it to be the goal of humans in general.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:37 PM

Current state is pre civilized.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Peace on Earth.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Current state is pre civilized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite. I mean, money for sex is outlawed or gray-market in 90% of the world. Sad.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:28 PM

I believe humanity is just another step in the ladder of evolution
the universe is in constant transition to more and more complexity. from homogeneous to heterogeneous.

it started out as nothing, then basic elements, then molecules, then bacteria, then fish, then humans....

i think the goal of humans is use their technology to further continue this process.. to evolve onto machines or better biological structures..
and later onto maybe other theoretical technological states not even mechanical nor biological

ultimate goal is to have complete control and order in the universe and effectively become god

the book "the singularity is near" makes sense to me..
the predictions of the book are bad, but the long term view of the path of humanity, logic of the universe, etc, is very good imo
Old 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM

i am pretty sure than in 10.000 years from now, humans wont exist anymore, at least not at anything resembling our current biological bodies.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am pretty sure than in 10.000 years from now, humans wont exist anymore, at least not at anything resembling our current biological bodies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posthumanity. We'll engingeer redundant security, biologically and materially. We'll still exist, splinter into normals and posthumans. Think of the living off the land effect, survivalists. Same principle.