Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Straddling 3 handed

yes do it, best in PLO, followed closely by NHLE and LHE
Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many rooms will not allow a straddle when three handed.

I would not do it unless the other two players really are players. Most B&M players hate SH play, then add the extra pressure of a straddle every time they are out of position, you will be looking for a new game in short order.

From a strategy point of view, if the other players are up for it, then yes, every hand and raise often too.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are good players then you don't really need to play them 3 handed. But you raise an important point. Scary_Tiger told me that it's always right to straddle when 3-handed. So I do it maybe only half of the time so the opponents won't pick up on it being the right thing to do.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Are people sure it's right to do it even in limit poker? Stox's table said it's only right to raise your button on about 40% of the hands unimpeded. Is the added position really worth the other 60%? Perhaps...
Old 08-24-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would not do it unless the other two players really are players. Most B&M players hate SH play, then add the extra pressure of a straddle every time they are out of position, you will be looking for a new game in short order.

From a strategy point of view, if the other players are up for it, then yes, every hand and raise often too.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are good players then you don't really need to play them 3 handed. But you raise an important point. Scary_Tiger told me that it's always right to straddle when 3-handed. So I do it maybe only half of the time so the opponents won't pick up on it being the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its rare to find really/truly good players live. Honestly I would rather play 3 handed or HU with "good" players that can laydown middle pair than the average tourist that cant laydown ace high. After all how many times are you really going to have the best hand at showdown playing this short and playing at a minimum every third hand?

Playing SH live is about picking up lots of small pots, not waiting to play a large pot to stack the other player(s).
Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM

I can't imagine playing nl shorthanded because the blinds are so low in comparison to the stacks. Maybe if your opponents give a lot of action.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine playing nl shorthanded because the blinds are so low in comparison to the stacks. Maybe if your opponents give a lot of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played shorthanded a few times starting games, its not terribly profitable, much more akin to playing shorthanded limit. Generally the game is pretty limpy/passive preflop and pretty quick postflop. Never played less than 5 handed in a sustained game live.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:27 PM

I've been in this situation rarely, as at CP there are almost always other games going and players break when the game is short. When three-handed, however, I always straddle. Not only do I get position on all streets, but the players do not adjust to this +EV straddle, and play even stupider than usual.

This assumes one or both of the other two players suck. The few times when it has been three handed and the other two players were skilled, I just chose to not play at all.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Here is an article I wrote about this a couple of years ago. I haven't read it myself in a couple of years, so go easy if it sucks.

http://www.parttimepoker.com/poker-s...m-straddle.htm
Old 08-24-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its rare to find really/truly good players live. Honestly I would rather play 3 handed or HU with "good" players that can laydown middle pair than the average tourist that cant laydown ace high. After all how many times are you really going to have the best hand at showdown playing this short and playing at a minimum every third hand?

Playing SH live is about picking up lots of small pots, not waiting to play a large pot to stack the other player(s).

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol at laying down middle pair head up. These are not good players you are playing against.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Can you straddle 2-handed?