Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 01:54 AM

Default going crazy

I am going crazy with the downswing of cards I am in. I almost quit playing for a while as I was down to my last buy in for tourney sng 5 table on full tilt. Then I outright won 3 out of the next 5 I played. Then entered a tourney with almost 800 ppl and took 3rd. Now I am running horribly again. I am making the right moves putting my money in ahead. It seems I am bubbling every tourney I play and some gay suckout occurs. Or early in tourney's I have AA in bb and some idiot pushes when blinds are 25/50 with nothing in the pot. They hit their god dammed set every time it seems. I can't take it anymore. I have been crushing the live game I play but for some reason I just suffer tremendous beats online. I literally like feel (just like the Jedi does) that even though I am holding AA and he pushed, he is going to hit. (I play semi pro football that whole Jedi feeling thing totally positive there when making plays). I mean I just bubbled where someone called my pre flop raise with 34 and flop came 4 9 J, I had AJ. I pushed the flop he hits the 4 on turn. Blinds were 100/200 I had 1700 going in. 700 pre flop raise. I am baffled when that [censored] happens. And this was a satellite tourney 18 ppl top 4 get token.

I constantly read books to get better and know that I am but this streak is crazy. My wife tells me to stop playing bad. I told her sorry I don't have her luck (another story there) Finally she actually witnessed some beats I am taking and believes me. (She crushes the same live game we play in, but she doesn't have the same understanding I do)

I don't give ppl odds to call their draws, they call and hit anyway. When I have the odds, I don't hit.

Another note I have lost set vs. set 7 times in my life. Never gotten paid off with someone else having lower set. I have lost AA vs AA 3 times in last 2 months. Never once hit in my way.

I keep thinking that the gods are giving me a sign to not play this game. I have always played some game and made money on it. I come from the streets so there was always gambling. I have always learned how to win those other games and when the poker boom came I wanted to capitalize. I studied up and it seems I was winning more when I didn't understand the game as much.

The saying, "I think, therefore I am" is strong because I do notice the more bad beats I have the more that I think they will come the more they do. I don't make bad decisions by them. I do berate a player sometimes after I have suffered about 4 or 5 in a row though. I understand that they just don't understand and made a bad call and got lucky. They don't deserve the berating but after running bad or even cold and bad it sucks.

How can I handle this. Should I listen to the gods and quit this game or what. I don't understand.

I am pretty much for the most part a slightly better than a break even online player. Although I am doing well live but most games I don't have the roll to play consistently live. The live game my wife and I crush is a tourney 2 days a week for $40 buy in gets 40-50 ppl.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Re: going crazy

play online only...drop down in stakes to the point where it would nearly be impossible to go broke...try to get through it
Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM

why was this moved this is not a bad beat story I was asking advice on how to handle it.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28 AM

where did you post it initially?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I keep thinking that the gods are giving me a sign to not play this game.

How can I handle this. Should I listen to the gods and quit this game or what. I don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heathen.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:38 AM

Some people are lucky, some are unlucky. Supposedly it evens out. Good luck with that.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:03 AM

whining about short term variance definitly will make your problems go away. [censored] dude do you know what id give to have only been oversetted 7 times?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife tells me to stop playing bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why was this moved this is not a bad beat story I was asking advice on how to handle it.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...When I have the odds, I don't hit...

[/ QUOTE ]

You know there's no correlation, right? Sitting in games where your opponents make bad calls is the key to winning poker. But in order to get the money, you have to learn to live in the realm of long-term, infinite poker or go mad. Personnally, I decided to go mad.