Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:10 PM

Default NL100 - KQs, 4-flush river \"bluff\"?

Villain is bottomset. I think he views me as standard TAG, but I'd been opening a lot and raising limpers the last couple of orbits.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (8 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($212.85)
MP2 ($18.40)
CO ($164.15)
Button ($98.50)
SB ($112.10)
BB ($30)
UTG ($252.45)
UTG+1 ($55)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $11.

<font color="blue">Anybody not a fan of preflop?</font>

Flop: ($34.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25.

<font color="blue">Didn't think leading here was an option, opted to c/c especially since villain is cbetting like 100% of the time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]</font>

Turn: ($84.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

<font color="blue">Again, given previous action leading turn seems stupid, I checked expecting him to check behind almost always, but to be honest I wasn't too sure what I was going to do facing a second barrel; probably fold [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]</font>

River: ($84.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>

<font color="blue">Good "bluff"? I was hoping this bet looked incredibly strong, or is he not folding anything better?</font>
Old 11-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: NL100 - KQs, 4-flush river \"bluff\"?

Pretty bad call preflop. You have King high out of position against a reg. You're playing for what? Combo draws? As to your river bluff, you don't fold Qd if that's what you're asking. I think Jd can toss though, and black AK.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 PM

But it's bottomset we're talking about here! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] and we're 164 BB deep; but I realize folding is definitely fine.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM

Oh sorry about that, I saw the stacks and assumed this was $200 NL. Yeah, the call option is vastly improved given the depths. If I call pre, I play the same IMO. Your bluff on the river is like a combo "bluff" + "don't bluff me" move which is fine.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM

As played on the flop, I think jamming/raising is the best for your image if you're calling with a wide range preflop like that. If you're calling 3bets from him with KQs I'm assuming you will with 9Ts and 78o/s from time to time, meaning your range can be wide enough here that he can shove QQ or other random air given stack sizes.

I think the bluff is OK, but you get looked up with Ad or Qd almost always...So it comes down to his 3bettin range and how tilty he has been in this session. If he seems marginally frustrated he may even look you up with just about any diamond. Hands like these are often really dependent on how the noob views YOU.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 PM

I prefer jamming the river. I'd be pretty shocked if he has Ad here. The only hand I can see like that is AdQx and I don't know if he will 3bet you with that, but he 3bets me with that [censored] all the time so he probably will. I think he could have the Qd here a fair amount, but shoving may get him to fold that whereas I don't think he folds it for $50.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:26 PM

Bottomset is a station, so I hate your river play. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 08:05 PM

I don't like the jamming the river with 120bb idea at all.

I think the river bet size is near-perfect. If he had checked, BS knows he can steal it as Ad and Qd are very possible holdings for OP and that he would def VB something on riv after check-check on the turn.

Would OP jam it all in with the Q? I doubt it. Would he jam the ace? Not likely as he wants to get some value for his nuts and knows BS may call light. I think 50 looks like what he would bet if he wanted to be called. It also gives him room to fold to a shove, which I really doubt BS does without the ace.