Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 AM

Default NLTRN - short Villain reraises AI

Hi all, this is my first post, so the short background is... I've been playing fullring SNGs for quite some time with pretty good results and now I've decided to give "learning" to play HUSNG a chance (have played less than 100 games so far).

I have run into situations like the following a lot lately...

Villain has pushed AI two of the last four times I have raised from SB (pretty much since he got this short). I have folded each time and now he does it a third time.

Full Tilt Poker, $5 + $0.25 NL Hold'em Sit n' Go, 25/50 Blinds, 2 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: 960
Hero (SB): 2,040

Pre-Flop: (75) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">Hero raises to 125</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to 960 and
is All-In</font>, Hero ?

Question is: what calling range would you use here? Would you call with KTs?
Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: NLTRN - short Villain reraises AI

What reads do you have on villain from earlier in the game??? While he may be getting frustrated and shoving a wide range, he could also just be cardhot for a few hands. He needs to be shoving a pretty wide range for this to be a good call. K10 plays terribly against a normal 3-betting range. I would fold, tighten up my preflop raising range (not that you shouldnt be raising KT), and wait for a better spot.

My typical calling range against an average opponent would be A9/AT+, maybe KQ, 66/77+. It's really hard to say because it is usually so read-dependent.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:02 AM

with given blind sizes i dont see calling with KT is good, even with such reads. you have a nice edge still, i'd wait a better spot (Ax, KQ+, 22+, KJ probably)
Old 10-22-2007, 03:03 AM

Sry for not posting my reads. Villain has been minbetting a lot and has called most of my bets on the flop and turn. He lost a lot in an earlier pot where he called me all the way with third pair.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 AM

Thanks for the input. After stoving it and taking your insights into account I'm pretty sure this is a bad call.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with given blind sizes i dont see calling with KT is good, even with such reads. you have a nice edge still, i'd wait a better spot (Ax, KQ+, 22+, KJ probably)

[/ QUOTE ]

calling this shove with A2-A6 is probably not +ev usually
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 AM

Yeah, I definitely don't like to call with little aces or pairs most of the time. He'd have to push a few more times than 4 before I'd even think about calling with something like A5 or 33, because he's either running hot, or you'll certainly get a better chance shortly, and the times that I do call light, I usually end up feeling like a moron for turning a 2-1 chiplead into a 2-1 deficit just because I couldn't wait a few hands.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KTs is miles better then 33 or A3o
Old 10-22-2007, 12:46 PM

Given your PF raise I think this is a call.

Its not a call you enjoy making...but you cannot play timid at 25/50 if you opponent start to make a habit of pushing you off pots.

The facts are that you will very rarely be a 33/66 dog or worse. The vast majority of the time you'll be in a ~0 EV spot because he's got something like A9. All the other times you love putting your money in.

Call now and lock up a likely 40%-60% chance to win.....don't get pushed off 125 raises very often.

PS. K7s is a turbo fold....but you can't fold this...otherwise whatelse are you playing??
Old 10-22-2007, 08:20 PM

I'm not giving up a 2:1 chip lead without a good reason. KTs is a great hand to raise with from sb. BUT it is at the VERY bottom of any reasonable range for opp to shove with. Even if he has shoved 3 in a row I don't call this

I'm pretty sure I don't understand locking up a win by shoving in our chips when we are behind. Against any Ace we are 42/57. Ax, 22+, Kt+ we are 40/60. He isn't shoving a weak king or a queen here against your raise unless you are notoriously weak tight.

Why undo all your hard work with one impatient call? My calling range is similar to hokiegregs unless this guy is WAY out of line.

Mike