Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: wanting to become a cop

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont do it. my dad is a cop. he and his friend hate theyre lives. they hate everyone. if youre going to be a cop in a big city, you will eventually hate people. you will become insanely racist, etc. trust me, its a bad idea. it changes you, for the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to guess becoming a cop isn't what made your dad a huge racist or mad him hate his life. Just a shot in the dark...

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty lousy shooting.

You're in no position to judge. The guy just told you something honest and you paid him back in snark. Way to go.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dont do it. my dad is a cop. he and his friend hate theyre lives. they hate everyone. if youre going to be a cop in a big city, you will eventually hate people. you will become insanely racist, etc. trust me, its a bad idea. it changes you, for the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to guess becoming a cop isn't what made your dad a huge racist or mad him hate his life. Just a shot in the dark...

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge, do you not understand how becoming a cop could very rapidly turn you into a huge racist who hates his life? Being a cop has got to be one of the toughest professions to do well and not let it affect you too much personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

correlation =/= causation

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does snarky speculation = anything worthwhile
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Edge, do you not understand how becoming a cop could very rapidly turn you into a huge racist who hates his life? Being a cop has got to be one of the toughest professions to do well and not let it affect you too much personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

correlation =/= causation

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does snarky speculation = anything worthwhile

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a ton of really cool cops who like their job, I think the op should become a cop, he will be happy.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im a recovering drug addict, never been arrested, and to be honest when to rehab. I wanted to know if any of this stuff will give me trouble in getting accepted. any info would be appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know that cops have a reputation for drinking pretty hard for the most part. I have a few friends who are cops in recovery, but those got sober after already being cops for years.

Of course that scenario is different in that you have a union member with years of service, and the department gives people a chance to address their mental health issues through employee assistance programs to keep their jobs.

When it comes to whether your history will be a factor in getting a job, I don't know. If you want these guys' phone numbers, PM me.

The other thing you'll have to look at is whether your the type of guy who can not bring your work home with you. This is why I'd never want to be a cop. I wouldn't be able to handle the stress and insanity to come home and just be a regular guy.

I would suggest you talk to my cop friends, or find some in your own community, who are in recovery, to let give you some ES&H about what its really like to handle that job as a person in recovery.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:07 PM

To the OP:
If you live in a small town, your best bet is to get on that department. Residents get priority over non-residents. If you don not have prior military exp then you HAVE to score very high on the test. When jobs open the dept starts with the highest score on the test and goes down the list to fill the allottment for that class. If they have ten openings coming up they might have to go down to #25 on the list to get to the ten who fit their criteria for acceptance. If you score high and get called you will have to explain the drug usage. Downplay it in a big way. Then, go get some excellent in town referrals, politicians, business people, whoever the most respected people in town are, get them to give you a referral.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 PM

BTW, my brother is a city cop and as far as the "cops are racists" comments go, I think he'd disagree. Although almost all of his criminal calls involve a certain minority, a minority that only makes up about 12% of his cities population, the racism involved is for the most part, reverse racism. He can't stop, question, or arrest a minority without being accused, by the offender, of being racist. "You're arresting me because I'm _____" "White people (assault,sell drugs, rob, break into cars) all the time, why don't you arrest them Dawg?"

Final note. You'd be surprised how much money a cop makes.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty lousy shooting.

You're in no position to judge. The guy just told you something honest and you paid him back in snark. Way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my [censored] God blarg, are you for real? The guy was being a complete jackass and has one completely baseless statement about how his dad is a huge racist douche who hates his life. Can you not see how retarded that is?

The guy's job is tough. Sure. Probably the hardest job out there (at least close, not as tough as being a soldier). I highly doubt that it made him a racist or made him "hate his life" or "hate everyone". I wasn't being "snarky", I was being right.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 PM

im pretty paranoid of both policemen and our beloved soliders. these are such lousy jobs that i ask myself "why would anyone want to do them?". then i make a list of people in my hs who went on to do these professions and it gets even scarier.

a guy joins The Marines, which of course I just want to say "God Bless Our Soliders". Now his job is to defend America, which he does by learning how to kill people. In the civilized world we put people in jail for killing people, yet now he is a hero for doing it? So maybe these are all sane guys willing to sacrifice themselves for what they feel is a greater cause, or maybe they just think itd be cool to fire a machine gun at someone or slam them against the hood of their car.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty lousy shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my [censored] God blarg, are you for real? The guy was being a complete jackass and has one completely baseless statement about how his dad is a huge racist douche who hates his life. Can you not see how retarded that is?

The guy's job is tough. Sure. Probably the hardest job out there (at least close, not as tough as being a soldier). I highly doubt that it made him a racist or made him "hate his life" or "hate everyone". I wasn't being "snarky", I was being right.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you know what Edge i'm sure you know his dad and the whole cop situation better than he does
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty lousy shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah you know what Edge i'm sure you know his dad and the whole cop situation better than he does

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm sure his dad being a huge racist douche is proof beyond all [censored] doubt that the job makes you a racist and makes you hate your life.

Like I said, one of my best friends is a cop, and he is neither racist nor does he hate his life. Him and his girlfriend live very happily and will probably be married within the next year. So since I've effectively cancelled out what the guy said about his racist jackass dad, where do we stand now?

I forgot, 2+2 is all a bunch of cool people who go around yelling "[censored] THA PO-LICE!!!"...and of course, if I remember THAT thread correctly, the guy spent the night for being a drunken jackass......