Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Are you more lucky or more good?

I've had more than one person say to me in recent years, "You're the unluckiest person I ever met."

My unlucky resume:

--Got kicked out of the army for being overweight, even though I was in better shape than any of the other kids who had been in just as long (I beat 'em all on the PT test);

--Watched my bookie friends get rich in the 90's, working offshore. I join them in 2000, and go to work for one of the few books to go belly-up. I come back to the US, broke. I own nothing but what I'm carrying in my suitcases.

--One year later, the apartment building I was living in burned to the ground. No injuries, but this time, I didn't even have those suitcases--I own nothing but the shirt on my back. And since I was at work when the fire struck, and since I wear a uniform issued by my employer when I'm at work, even the shirt on my back wasn't mine.

--Most recently, I was fired from that job, over $3. Not suspended, not "written up", no probation, FIRED. And I didn't even take the lousy $3.

(If I owned a funeral home, no one would die.)
Old 03-12-2007, 10:55 AM

You make your own luck.

That said, I am really unlucky.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM

This is really vague. Lucky at what? If it is lucky in the overall scheme of life then NT put it pretty well, I wasn't born into money, both my parents didn't have any but they worked their ass off and now they have money so I grew up provided for which is what I consider very lucky. Being able to have access to tools that aid in your success b/c of your situation in life is very lucky.

When broken down into more narrow aspects of my life I have actually been extremely unlucky but have a very strong mind that has kept me afloat so to speak. I think this would be true to anyone though and is a part of life so I don't think of it as, "poor me." In my professional life each time I was reaching a pinnacle something out of my control happened to knock me down several notches, I would get up knock the dust off and start climbing again to get knocked down but in my eyes this happens to everyone.

I am lucky in that my parents are normal and thus raised a fairly grounded person. I am also lucky in that I have a ton of people that love me.

I believe that we are all lucky in some way and that those who feel they are the unluckiest people on earth aren't evaluating themselves correctly.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's easy to forget how lucky we are to be born middle or upper class and white.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, no [censored] you cracker-ass crackers. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, I was born in inner-city Cleveland to a below-average class/income family and had parents that were not divorced and kicked my lazy ass in gear when I was prone to being a slacker. They made life hard on me for 21 years and my dad always told me that he wished I finished college so I would do something with my life, and was never happy with my progress in life.

I am not white. I didn't receive any racial grants/scholarships at any schools I applied for, and some evidence shows that my race (Asian-American) is actually discriminated against by college admissions boards.

In all of these regards, I am extremely, extremely lucky. If you had an upbringing any better than me and feel cheated, please stfu.