Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: 100/200NL live 2-pair hand

i've played with both players before. this is a pretty easy all in given all the information. Kevin would reraise Jamie here with any reasonable ace... and given the action Kevin can't have AA, and 99 or 66 is extremely unlikely given your 96. Just about the only way you are beat is Kevin having A6 or A9 suited... you still might get called by AK or AQ by either player, or a monster draw... but i don't see any way you can fold 96 here for 22k. and calling is by far worse then shoving.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i've played with both players before. this is a pretty easy all in given all the information. Kevin would reraise Jamie here with any reasonable ace... and given the action Kevin can't have AA, and 99 or 66 is extremely unlikely given your 96. Just about the only way you are beat is Kevin having A6 or A9 suited... you still might get called by AK or AQ by either player, or a monster draw... but i don't see any way you can fold 96 here for 22k. and calling is by far worse then shoving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Here is what happened. I shoved based on basically the above analysis. Jamie insta-folded (surprised?) and then Kevin sat for about five minutes and agonized. He finally said in all seriousness "I am just not good enough to lay this down to you" and called! Turn and river were 5, 5. I said "I have two-pair" and probably everyone thought I had AK, he showed a set of 9s.

I left thinking that this may have been nothing more than a cooler, but I wondered whether or not there was a way to play this hand with as much upside and less downside. All two pairs are really unlikely here as are sets, but I have lost bottom two to middle set before and I have not won big pots very often with bottom two. The all-in shove drives out everything but the sets and big draws. I now think that there I am getting called only by AA, 99, 66, A9, A6 and 7s8s (str8, flush draw) and maybe pair + flush draw (my best shot) I have very little equity and he needs to fold 70% of the time for this to be profitable.

I think it's possible as someone else said that my push would have folded out A9, A6 and possibly even 66 given that he was considering folding 99. BTW, the table reprimanded him severely for not insta-calling with 99 (I told him later I could not believe he hesitated, but Kevin is a good guy and genuinely considered laying it down as he was seriously worried about AA).
Old 07-15-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quoteI left thinking that this may have been nothing more than a cooler, but I wondered whether or not there was a way to play this hand with as much upside and less downside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop, and judge the action from here, rather than second guessing your hand. You're unsure as to whether it's the best hand on the flop, so why check it over anyway? Only check it across if you're 100% sure you got the best of it, and can shove.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 PM

I am def not Nick Schulman, lol. The 100/200 game played many a night at the Bellagio. I left after that hand as I was tired from the WSOP, etc, etc. I think I was in the 3 seat (table on the main floor, near Bobby's room, near the poker cage).
Old 07-15-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-15-2007, 07:10 PM

I was at the table at the time: I'm pretty positive you only had 12k to start the hand, as Kevin only had to call like 5200 more, which is something we were all talking about when making fun of him for how long it took him to call. Also, Kevin had been playing very tight but not so tight that you could fold this: he could easily be playing back at Jamie and you're an afterthought in the hand with your stack and your flop check. Getting it all in is the right play, but you should have thought about it for a bit because you asked Jamie how much he has and when he told you, you IMMEDIATELY shoved: not the best way to get a call from AK/AQ (Jamie actually jumped up and immediately slid his cards to me, showing me AK and folding).
Old 07-15-2007, 11:00 PM

13kish more not 5200. Hero's line looks real strong and I know he wasn't bluffing.

I was trying to figure out what hands a tight/solid player would ship it there-I know he wouldn't push with ak and the ace of spades was on board
Old 07-16-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
13kish more not 5200. Hero's line looks real strong and I know he wasn't bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Sorry about that: could have sworn it was 5 or 6k. Either way, yeah obvious push and obvious call for you.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

lol @ not including a single draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah