Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Custom Titles: Required Reading

FWIW I've been pretty liberal with titles, though it's been quite a while since I gave a custom title to someone who didn't already have one.

I would also vote for removing all custom titles and starting over assuming that that would be easy with the software. The reason for this is that it's pretty arbitrary - who gets their title removed and who doesn't is based simply on whether Ryan knew of their title in the past (unless I've missed something here which could be).

I think some guidelines WRT titles would be good. When you say that they should be "kept to a minimum" what does this mean exactly? Nobody needs a new title afterall. Kept to a minimum could basically mean anywhere from only giving them to the top contributors in our forums to roughly the same thing as color changes - basically none except for temporary changes due to winning a contest or doing something very special.

So basically I think all should be removed and then we should come to some stronger agreement over what should go on, and then after that people should make changes only if they go along with the agreed upon guidelines.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:55 PM

I like having the ability to reward participation with titles. If there was to be a reset, would it be a no titles at all policy?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically I think all should be removed and then we should come to some stronger agreement over what should go on, and then after that people should make changes only if they go along with the agreed upon guidelines.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly...

Whats the big deal about custom titles?

If it makes a poster happy to have a custom title... and they deserve one... why shouldn't they have it?

Would it be correct to assume that the majority of title changes are made by OOT, BBV, and POG mods? (with the exception of banned spammer title changes)
Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it makes a poster happy to have a custom title... and they deserve one... why shouldn't they have it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is clearly disagreement over the meaning of the word deserve, otherwise there would be no problem.

[ QUOTE ]

Would it be correct to assume that the majority of title changes are made by OOT, BBV, and POG mods? (with the exception of banned spammer title changes)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you know that BBV has passed OOT as teh most popular 2+2 forum!!...!!!!!!....
Old 11-27-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is clearly disagreement over the meaning of the word deserve, otherwise there would be no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread started because the issue was some Mods weren't commenting their title changes...
Old 11-27-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread started because the issue was some Mods weren't commenting their title changes...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely true. As I said in the OP:

[ QUOTE ]
But at one point Mat did ask us to keep these to a minimum, and that doesn't seem to be happening. I think always knowing which mods are giving them could help that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jared:
[ QUOTE ]
When you say that they should be "kept to a minimum" what does this mean exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's as specific as Mat got, and I think he just wants us to use common sense and not give them to lots of people. Just don't get carried away and start giving them to anyone who asks or whenever you just happen to feel the urge.

quoting jared's post again:
[ QUOTE ]
roughly the same thing as color changes - basically none except for temporary changes due to winning a contest or doing something very special.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we ever need to do a system reset of the titles, this is probably how things would be after.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:43 AM

Ryan,

Before we do something with titles, would somebody explain the problem with them, beyond the unsoliciticed, insulting titles, that we're fixing?

Some people just seem to dislike them on spec, and that's fine, but I see no reason to legislate against them.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:57 AM

Dids,

Two reasons for me:

1. Custom titles lose their meaning when too many people have them. They really should be something given out rarely, especially because they are often permanent.

2. Out of spite because I lost mine when my reign as POG champion ended which coincided with my becoming a mod and thus losing the ability to acquire them. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Out of spite because I lost mine when my reign as POG champion ended which coincided with my becoming a mod and thus losing the ability to acquire them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been noted previously, if a Mod wants a custom title... just ask Ryan to give it to you.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

Two reasons for me:

1. Custom titles lose their meaning when too many people have them. They really should be something given out rarely, especially because they are often permanent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is rofl.

Custom titles existed will before people started using them as some reward. They started because they're funny and people like them. They don't "lose their meaning" because they're all individual. That's just flat nonsense.

Pretending that they're some reward is just flat silly. That you have a title shouldn't be the reward, the text of the title should be.

This is the thing. Some people like iron and daryn seem to just have an axe to grind against the concept of titles in general. That's fine, they're welcome to dislike them, but that isn't really a problem that needs fixing.