Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 01:11 AM

Default 5/10 no limit - did I misplay this?

I post this on the wrong thread.
Playing 5/10 no limit at Bellagio. I have around $4000 in front of me. I have AA in position. I raise standard $30, get two callers. Flop 10,J,Q. Check, Check, I bet $100, both call. Turn is Ace. Check around. River is 10. Now at this point I have the nuts Aces full.
Under the gun underbets $130. He has approximately 2400 in front of him. Amateur player. He bluffs rarely and is straight forward weak loose. The second player folds. Now I am thinking of extracting the most money. I raise $350 more to $480. He instantly call. He had the king for a broadway straight. I kicked myself because if I could've put him all in, and he would've called. Any comment on the play?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: 5/10 no limit - did I misplay this?

I don't think you completely botched it by any means.

As an aside, quad 10's is the nuts, unless there's a straight flush possible. But it's correct to assume your hand was good, and let TT stack you if it comes to that.

One think that might have helped you is the following principle: against fish, size your value bets based on the "draw" ranking strength you think they hold, not based on their strength relative to the board.

Applied in this situation, he's pretty obviously on a K. Now, you and I both know that the presence of a full house massivly devalues a straight in NL if there's much action, but the fish is thinking "I have a straight!" Now, relative strength thinking says he can't call much, because a straight is kinda weak here. But "draw" thinking says an A-high straight is one hell of a pat hand, so he can call his entire stack.

Since you clearly didn't think much of his play, I would definitly shade towards a push there.

As another aside, this belongs in medium stakes NL forum, not here.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:55 AM

That's what I was thinking after he turned over the hand. I could've had his whole stack and I kicked myself. OTOH, he could've had A/Q two pair and might have fold to bigger raise. That could've been back of my mind. I was rather surprised he didn't reraise me all in. He showed a considerable restraint by not reraising all in. I guess I was thinking if he has a top straight, he is gonna go all in, otherwise any two pairs, I can extract most money..
Old 01-26-2007, 02:57 AM

If you think he is stupid enough to call an all in with the straight then you have to push. Not doing so is losing massive value.