Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which College Football Rating System Rates the Teams Most Accurately?
One or More of the Human Polls (AP, Harris, OR Coaches) 1 7.69%
Sagarin Predictor 2 15.38%
Another Computer Rating System 3 23.08%
BCS 1 7.69%
Compilation of Various Computer Ratings 4 30.77%
Some Combination of Human Polls and Computer Ratings But NOT the BCS 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Two tipping scenarios that have been bugging me

Aces,

"However, I do think that it is standard for other industry folks to overtip in these situations"

My comments were based on a couple of years in SF where about half the people I hung out with were service industry folks. Everyone in that community definitely overtipped, but they also got WAY more free stuff than they left money for. Bartenders getting comped $100 worth of stuff don't leave $100 here, they leave more like $50-60. Like bryan said, though, we are not really all that far off in most situations.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:42 PM

All,

"The hooch isn't comped, its stolen."

Just to clarify this one, there are two types of ways this happens.

1: Three bartenders come in. They have 3 drinks each. Their tab is $5. That's stealing.

2: Regular comes in. Has dinner at the bar and a glass of wine. He is comped either an extra glass of wine or an after dinner drink. That's encouraged by the manager/owner at many places and often is recorded in a comp book.

Point is simply that this can either be a customer appreciation marketing thing or just flat out stealing for friends.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drew,

"Whenever I get anything comped, I tip as if it wasn't comped."

As a few have said, industry people or people w/ friends in the industry overtip as a rule. So maybe you don't want to tip as much as them, fine.

But even if you're not, it seems like common courtesy to leave a little extra as a thank you if someone gave you something for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't disagree, but $25 on a $15 tab seems a little more than "a little extra."
Old 09-25-2007, 04:41 PM

ok first of all i am not a complete nit. I am ordering from a gourmetish chinese food restaurant b/c it is good and i don't care if it is expensive. the guy does "speak english" but anything other than protocol on the phone just gets to be really a hassle, which is why i don't ask the price (the first time i ordered from here it was a huge pain in the ass).

and i think everyone has a line in their head that they draw on how much they wish to spend on things. And the amount of the food is a-0k but the tip crosses the line, hence my problem here. i don't *really* care about the money, but i just feel a bit ripped off.

But i guess i will just tip b/c i don't want chinese jizz in my food, and i don't want to wait 2 hours for my food either. (also this would never be an issue but for the first time in like 5 years i am having to be concerned with money.)
Old 09-25-2007, 04:56 PM

What are everyone's thoughts on 18%-20% autograt places?

That seriously pisses me off.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What are everyone's thoughts on 18%-20% autograt places?

That seriously pisses me off.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate this, especially when they don't tell you it's there.

what pisses me off even more is the tip line on a receipt at jamba juice. attempting to force me to get some chalky does nothing booster in my $ 4 drink for 5 minutes. hell no im not tipping you jamba juice guy.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 PM

i paid for college by bartending. every single bartender ever 'steals' by hooking up their friends, regulars and random pretty girls/boys with free drinks, and every manager/owner knows it goes on and, while probably not encouraging it, accepts it.

i didn't expect anything in return when hooking up hot girls (except numbers), but if regulars and friends wanted to get free drinks the next time, i expected to get tipped approximately the value of what i gave them. obviously though, if i really liked the regular or if my friends were sufficiently appreciative, i was happy with less. if someone thought they should get free stuff just because they were around all the time or because we were friends, usually they got shafted unless they tipped really well.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:30 PM

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:33 PM

er dude did you even read the thread? ctrl+f pink is your friend
Old 09-25-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf. Worst ever.