FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you down
YES, AWESOME 10 66.67%
NO, BASTARD 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: The Fate of #756 by Marc Ecko

i think some people are retarded.

if he ever branded it (odds 1%) the odds of cooperstown putting it on display is 0%.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 AM

blow it up like the Bartman ball

seriously, this ball won't make the hall if he brands it

it will be the last homerun Bonds hit that is the record anyway
Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you feel about the possibility that Babe Ruth went his entire career without facing a single pitcher who would make a MLB roster under the current conditions?

If you don't believe me, think for a minute or two about the size of the player pool that MLB drew from then and compare it to now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think that Walter Johnson or Lefty Grove would make an MLB roster today then you are a moron.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 AM

It's not like Ruth faced them a lot, though. By the time Ruth was exclusively a hitter (1919) Walter was in his last year of dominance. Lefty Grove wouldn't become dominant until 1930, where Ruth had about 4 big years left in him.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Jack,
Your point is fair but has absolutely no bearing on how unbelievably stupid the previous statement was.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marc Ecko is a serious attention whore.

If he puts * on it, the HOF is just going to put it facing the back of the display case, ldo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multiple brandings FTW.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM

marc ecko is a dick. if he wants to brand the ball, he should do it and not hide behind a poll.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you feel about the possibility that Babe Ruth went his entire career without facing a single pitcher who would make a MLB roster under the current conditions?

If you don't believe me, think for a minute or two about the size of the player pool that MLB drew from then and compare it to now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think that Walter Johnson or Lefty Grove would make an MLB roster today then you are a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said possibility. Obviously some of them would. The point was to make him realize that, with the RIDICULOUS increase in the available player pool, players are way, way, way better now than they were 70 years ago.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I said possibility. Obviously some of them would. The point was to make him realize that, with the RIDICULOUS increase in the available player pool, players are way, way, way better now than they were 70 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by "player pool" you mean "performance enhancing drugs", amirite?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And by "player pool" you mean "performance enhancing drugs", amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, thats obviously only legit if you are talking about putting in a player that would refuse to use anything. Its a bit of a stretch to think Babe Ruth wouldn't be using steroids if he were playing today.

But no, I wasn't even talking about that. Baseball, during Ruth's era, drew from a tiny pool. The population of the US in 1920 was 106 million. Some percentage of that was black or otherwise not white. Thats a fairly small pool of players. The US population now over 300 million. All races can play. Add in the hundreds of millions of people in Japan, Korea, Dominican Republic, Venezuala, and so on. The player pool is many, many times larger.

PEDs are a neutral issue, since they help all the other players just as much as they would have helped Ruth. You can toss that out. Globalization, integration, and just the general increase in population since the time of Ruth, but also since the time of Aaron, guarantees that the players today are much tougher.