Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Default Vista - How much pain?

Background : I recently bought a Macbook Pro and I am going to partition my hard drive using Bootcamp in order to run a Microsoft OS. Like others on this board, the only reason I need a Microsoft OS is to run FTP, Stars, PT/Hold'Em Manager, and PA HUD. All other computing activities will be done in the Mac environment.

Many people I have talked to recommended that I install XP as opposed to Vista. I have heard that Vista is a resource hog, and not very user friendly. However, I have obtained a free copy of Vista Ultimate.

Question: How much pain am I going to cause myself by using my free copy of Vista? Am I better off just shelling out for a copy of XP?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:28 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own
Default Re: Vista - How much pain?

if you didnt get vista free i would def say get XP. BUT since you are using boot camp and not vmware fusion/parallels vista should be fine.
i dont have it but alot of my friends like vista, but they dont play poker. also more and more software is compatible with vista. so use vista and ur MBP will run it silky smooth lol.

btw what MBP did you get?
Old 08-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Tom,

The 17" with 1920x1200 res. I don't think I got any of the upgrades to memory etc.

I just dont want the my laptop to get bogged down with all these applications I wont use and/or dont need.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

it should be fine. you'll have a fresh vista install so no bloatware and then all you will need to install is the pokersites, holdem manager, firefox, then windows defender, and your choice of other antispyware/anti virus. also probaly need instant messaging so i strongly recommend pidgin.

then you can download all your music, movies etc on the mac side.

i would consider virtualization, vmware fusion is supposedly really badass. and you can always upgrade to 4gb yourself for about $250.

http://www.macrumors.com/ great forums. will help you out alot.

tell me how you like your MBP, i really want to get one and i know for a fact my brother is going to get one.

also for a great OS X software google quicksilver. simply amazing.

also did you get glossy or matte screen?

sorry for rambled post
Old 08-21-2007, 02:58 PM

I got the high res glossy widescreen.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:00 PM

good choice
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 PM

How's the MBP working for you?

I'm going to get the low-end macbook myself. Upgrade to 2gb, maybe new hard drive. I just bought a 22" widescreen lcd for multi-tabling. Is the bootcamp/fusion install smooth?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:28 PM

I love the MBP thus far.

I installed Vista using Bootcamp, and it was pretty easy if you just follow the directions. And I dont really consider myself computer savy.